You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-28 10:26:42

jsson

[SOLVED]Can't boot after update?

Hi
I recently tried to install nvidia drivers on my arch rig. I used sudo pacman -S nvidia.
The install went through just fine then i did sudo pacman Syu to update the system.
After the update was done it said in the terminal that to use my nvidia drivers the system
had to be restarted. So i restarted the pc and it froze on

Decompressing Linux ... Parasing ELF... done. 
Booting the kernel.
:: running early hook [udev] 

I've read that this is usualy solved by downgrading the kernel.
Shall i just follow the "Downgrading the kernel" guide on the wiki?

Last edited by jsson (2015-11-05 20:57:58)

#2 2015-10-28 11:30:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Can't boot after update?

The problem is almost certainly due to you doing partial upgrades if you didn't fix your system since your last dustbinned thread.

You have (had) community-testing and mutlilib-testing enabled but not testing.  This is a recipe for disaster, and frankly I'm surprised it didn't break your system earlier.

You should follow the wiki, yes.  Whether downgrading the kernel will help, I have no idea.  Perhaps starting from scratch and following the beginner's guide rather than third party tutorials would be the best way to get to a working system.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-10-28 17:26:40

jsson

Trilby wrote:

The problem is almost certainly due to you doing partial upgrades if you didn't fix your system since your last dustbinned thread.

You have (had) community-testing and mutlilib-testing enabled but not testing.  This is a recipe for disaster, and frankly I'm surprised it didn't break your system earlier.

You should follow the wiki, yes.  Whether downgrading the kernel will help, I have no idea.  Perhaps starting from scratch and following the beginner's guide rather than third party tutorials would be the best way to get to a working system.

Ok so now i did a complete fresh install and followed the beginner's guid. I installed xorg and gnome
after i booted in to the GUI i installed the 64 and 32 bit drivers to be able to run steam. After
they finnished installing i reboot as it says and the boot stops at :: running early hook [udev]

And i have to pint out that the only thing i uncomented in the pacman conf was the multilib.

Last edited by jsson (2015-10-28 17:27:51)

#4 2015-10-28 17:28:04

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

What is in the journal? You need to become comfortable running your own diagnostics. See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2015-10-28 18:58:54

jsson

jasonwryan wrote:

What is in the journal? You need to become comfortable running your own diagnostics. See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

i wil take a look at the logs now

Btw since i know what two packets it was that broke the system, cant i just remove them so that
i can use the system untill the problem i resolved?

Last edited by jsson (2015-10-28 19:08:39)

#6 2015-10-28 19:14:08

jsson

So in the journal map ther are a map named remote and a map with a long name consisting of letters ans numbers.
The map that is named remote is empty and the map with the complex name has two jurnal files in it.
How should i go about posting the two journal files since they are very long?

I also noticed that i can't start gnome while chrooted in to my install. Does this confirm that it is the driver that
have broken my system?

Edit: used pacman with the -Rs flag to remove the two driver packages that caued the problem and now i can use
the system again.

Last edited by jsson (2015-10-28 19:35:48)

#7 2015-10-28 19:38:13

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

jsson wrote:

So in the journal map ther are a map named remote and a map with a long name consisting of letters ans numbers.
The map that is named remote is empty and the map with the complex name has two jurnal files in it.
How should i go about posting the two journal files since they are very long?

I have no idea what this means. Read the wiki page on systemd, particularly the section on querying the journal. The systemd man pages are also extremely thorough.

jsson wrote:

I also noticed that i can't start gnome while chrooted in to my install. Does this confirm that it is the driver that
have broken my system?

No. That is an assumption that would need to be tested and confirmed by analysing your journal.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2015-10-28 19:38:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What drivers where these?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2015-10-28 21:59:32

jsson

Trilby wrote:

What drivers where these?

It was the Proprietary nvidia driver and lib32-nvidia-libgl

Board footer