You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-08 20:35:46

Alethos

[SOLVED] Samba: Arch Server to dualboot Arch/XP Desktop

Where to begin....the problem I suppose.

The Problem: I set up samba as best I could figure out from arch's wiki and samba.org's offical how to. Done. Go to My Network Places in XP (after a reboot of course) and don't see anything. Click on View Workgroup Computers and I get "workgroup" is not accessible. I head on over to samba.org's "The Samba Checklist" and start running through some troubleshooting. First failure of troubleshooting is:
ping BOA-S0 (server) from XP returns correct class c ip address (staticly assigned)
ping BOA-D0 (XP box) from server returns externalip.ip.secureserver.net
(Odd, as the XP box's tcp/ip settings are assigned staicly by me in the same class c framework set up on the server. Only thing different is last octet of ip address.)
ping x.x.x.(x+1) (the correct class c ip address of XP box instead of pinging the hostname) from server doesn't resolve.

Machines are connected via a router. Router is set up for static ip addressing. IP scheme is as follows:
Router=x.x.x.x     BOA-S0=x.x.x.(x+1)     BOA-D0=x.x.x.(x+2)
Gateway=router's ip address     DNS=dns ip's of isp

I believe I have my smb.conf set up properly and some further troubleshooting from the checklist narrows it down to nmbd problems. But before I get into that, I wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on the ping issue.

[UPDATE]
Thanks to cactus' help on irc we figured out the pinging issue (my fault, zonealarm was dorking it up) so at least now I can ping both ways and have each box resolve the correct ip address. Unfortunately, I still receive the same error message when trying to click on View Workgroup Computers. Now that i know the machines are seeing eachother properly from a tcp/ip standpoint, any thoughts on the error message and why I can't connect to the server's share?

[UPDATE]
I know it's not the way it should be done, but I installed ubuntu and set up samba, got it working, saved the smb.conf reinstalled arch and used the working smb.conf. I don't know what was wrong, must have been some of the syntax.

Board footer