You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-10 02:19:50

jellywerker

sexy text based system

This is stemming from a few posts of earlier discussion with komodo about his beautiful january screenshot when I suggested figuring out the basics for a nice, pretty, light cli system. So here's some oftware ideas, and maybe komodo can hop in and add more.

so here we go

terminal with color

music: mpd + ncmpc

video: mplayer

web: links (or elinks, or links 2 or links hacked or w3m, etc... probably links)

text: vim and nano (for large and small jobs respectively)

some console games (tetris, etc...)

cd or dvdrecord + bashburn

centericq

epic for irc? or bitchx, etc...?

screen

This would almost be a cool setup for a 50mb arch-live cd, have to add some more stuff for that though, like tools, etc... Perhaps the creator of minimax could help. More of a distro to turn an old pc useful than a rescue distro though.

#2 2006-04-10 02:45:25

elasticdog
Website

Re: sexy text based system

Cool list idea.  I'm in the process of setting up a headless server that I'll probably use for testing stuff and a subversion repository, etc.  A list of stuff like this will come in handy for when I'm forced to stay on the command-line only.  It would make an interesting live cd as well.

I'm curious...what is your prefered CLI web browser?  I have lynx installed, but haven't fooled around with many others.

#3 2006-04-10 03:01:34

jellywerker

I use lynx when I need a command line browser, but I don't really like it, though that's not really it's fault, mostly because webpages aren't made for text browsers anymore, and thus are formatted badly in text mode. That's why I think links or similar that can do graphical browsing in text mode would be good.

#4 2006-04-10 03:03:49

magnum_opus

http://a.psychology.uiowa.edu/nestor/robohack.html

are there any sort-of semi-wysiwyg word processors for the cli?

also pine/mutt of course

#5 2006-04-10 03:09:03

jellywerker

I'm not sure, I like nano, but I don't think it's wysiwyg, or close.

That game looks cool, I haven't played what it's based on, so is it fun?

pine mutt of course, also perhaps gift+giftcurs (one of the nicest cli interfaces in any app I have seen) also, perhaps an rss reader?

#6 2006-04-10 03:18:41

mcubed

abcde for ripping audio CDs.  crip is cool too, but the later versions only do ogg/flac; abcde does mp3/ogg/flac and probably anything else you have an encoder for.  Both use cdparanoia.  crip is better for ripping classical music, though.

w3m for a quick look-up of something on the web.

bittorrent-curses, though there are a couple of others that might be better.  I just haven't tried them yet.  rtorrent or ctorrent, maybe.

And vim and nano, of course!

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson

#7 2006-04-10 03:29:44

jellywerker

and mc, a necessity!

#8 2006-04-10 06:15:15

iphitus
Forum Fellow

If only there were an awesome web browser that worked at the command line, and provided CSS and tab support... sad

Then X would be long gone for me....... I wonder if it's possible to get cairo to render to a framebuffer, then you could theoretically run gtk apps on a fb..

James

#9 2006-04-10 06:39:42

Cam
Website

iphitus wrote:

I wonder if it's possible to get cairo to render to a framebuffer, then you could theoretically run gtk apps on a fb..

http://www.directfb.org/wiki/index.php/ … n_DirectFB

Linky for you smile

#10 2006-04-10 06:57:31

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Cam wrote:
iphitus wrote:

I wonder if it's possible to get cairo to render to a framebuffer, then you could theoretically run gtk apps on a fb..

http://www.directfb.org/wiki/index.php/ … n_DirectFB

Linky for you smile

Last time i saw that it was way outta date... looks different now, I'll check it now and report how I go smile

James

#11 2006-04-10 08:20:28

tomk
Forum Fellow

Interesting, but drifting OT. The OP said text-based - not a description you could apply to GTK stuff, regardless of how it is run.

#12 2006-04-10 08:41:13

postlogic
Website

links can be patched to support tabs.

#13 2006-04-10 11:41:15

wain
Website

It could be nice to use dillo with gtk_on_directfb   8)

this version with tabs and many improvements is really cool !!

#14 2006-04-10 11:45:42

Chris|MD

irc: irssi
mail: muttng

You can get graphics under the framebuffer with links compiled with graphics-support. And with gpmsupport you can even use the mouse.
Java is supported too. CSS im not sure, looks like its only half implented (or even 0%?!).
Colors of Text on the archlinux.org website works but no backgroundcolor and such things big_smile

Oh and zsh can really help too!

#15 2006-04-10 12:01:34

iphitus
Forum Fellow

links has no/poor css. anyway, I went down the path of directfb, got it working with gtk, but It's not going to work with mozilla without some heavy codework, as mozilla uses raw x calls.

gtk has a fb output, however it's practically unmaintained and doesnt compile. I'm not really in a mood to digg through it's code and fix it.

dillo won't compile with directfb as it's gtk1 and directfb only supports gtk2. And gtk1 doesnt seem to even have a fb output.

last thing I have left to try is XDirectFB, though it doesnt look well maintained.

anyway, relevance to this thread? it'd be nice to have a browser to use without having to start an X session, and such a browser would compliment a CLI based setup well. No X is a lot of space saved on the suggested 50mb liveCD in the first post.
And IMHO, the web is pretty tedious when browsed in a CLI text browser, so getting a graphical one running without X would be way cool.

if I get anything useful running on it, ill post my GTK on DFB pkgbuilds. They're a hack to build though, not because of DFB, but because for some unknown reason, GTK CVS requires automake 1.7, even though the latest GTK release, builds fine with 1.9...

edit: I'll fiddle with this thing tommorow: http://directfb.org/index.php/viewcvs.c … tkWebCore/

James

#16 2006-04-10 12:33:11

tomk
Forum Fellow

Don't get me wrong, iph - GTK/DFB looks like good stuff, but I think it deserves its own thread. The showcase example on the site is The Gimp, and nobody's going to convince me that The Gimp is text-based just because you run it without X.

But hey - it probably isn't the first time a thread's gone OT, is it? tongue

#17 2006-04-10 12:37:02

iphitus
Forum Fellow

tomk wrote:

Don't get me wrong, iph - GTK/DFB looks like good stuff, but I think it deserves its own thread. The showcase example on the site is The Gimp, and nobody's going to convince me that The Gimp is text-based just because you run it without X.

But hey - it probably isn't the first time a thread's gone OT, is it? tongue

This would almost be a cool setup for a 50mb arch-live cd, have to add some more stuff for that though, like tools, etc...

according to the first post, im on topic tongue at worst, im on a tangent.

the primary reason for text based tools in such a project would be to avoid X. not to avoid gui apps alltogether. anyway. I didnt say anything about gimp smile

#18 2006-04-10 13:00:09

tomk
Forum Fellow

OK - you win. No hard feelings. wink

*mutter* *"text-based"* *mutter* *"cli system"* *mutter* *bloody devs, think they know it all.....* *mutter* ....

#19 2006-04-10 14:56:29

barjo

bitlbee ( http://www.bitlbee.org/ ) for instant messaging (jabber, msn, icq, ... in your irc client)

#20 2006-04-10 15:52:01

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

elinks supports tabs, and javascript - sure the css may suck, but um, it's text.... wtf kind of css support do you want?

#21 2006-04-10 16:39:46

test1000

anyone tried arachne then? i couldn't get it to work but i have in the past.

check out: http://home.arachne.cz/ i think that's the url, arachne supports ggi and svgalib.

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#22 2006-04-10 16:41:47

magnum_opus

jellywerker wrote:

That game looks cool, I haven't played what it's based on, so is it fun?

you've never played Robotron?
okay get mame and download the roms for robotron and smash tv. or alternatively i know one of the various williams arcade collections for consoles have them.

also if you have a decent computer
http://www.puppygames.net/ ultratron
http://www.pompomgames.com/mutantstorm.htm

#23 2006-04-10 18:01:46

Chris|MD

phrakture wrote:

elinks supports tabs, and javascript - sure the css may suck, but um, it's text.... wtf kind of css support do you want?

Well with links -g you could get the same colors/other features you would get in firefox.
Or with textoutput the color of the text/background could be the one defined in the stylesheet. That would be interesting big_smile

#24 2006-04-11 01:52:01

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Chris|MD wrote:
phrakture wrote:

Well with links -g you could get the same colors/other features you would get in firefox.
Or with textoutput the color of the text/background could be the one defined in the stylesheet. That would be interesting big_smile

links -g, while awesome, doesn't count for a 'text based' system, but that may be my interpretation - I use elinks for quick lookups

#25 2006-04-11 13:48:03

Chris|MD

Well then would be mplayer forbidden too. Only allowed with libcaca smile

Board footer