You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-22 17:48:38

starsareblood

Are there still issues regarding eMMC (RPMB)?

Hi.

I need some help please.

I would like to install arch on my hp stream 11. I am concerned about the various problems I have read regarding the type of memory my hard drive uses. It uses eMMC memory which is basically a motherboard embedded SD card. There appears to be an issue with the RPMB (replay protected memory block) which stores the OEM security keys. This read only block is not a normal partition on the disk, it is a separate read only area. The problem is that the kernel repeatedly tries to access the RPMB before finally giving up and booting normally. This can increase the boot time by several minutes.

There are a number of posts discussing this issue. Some people (here and here ) have reported success using this kernel patch stating that boot times have increased significantly as a result. On reddit one user reports having success with this laptop and arch stating that the problem with RPMB has been solved with recent kernel releases.

On the other hand lots of people (for example here, here and here) have reported problems.

I would be very grateful for some clarity on this issue.

1. Are there still outstanding issues regarding eMMC storage?

2. Has the kernel been recently patched to ignore the RPMB?

If required I can provide as much information as needed.

Once again thank you for taking time to reply to my post.

Last edited by starsareblood (2015-11-22 19:12:47)

Board footer