You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-10 02:52:20

sycc90

[SOLVED] Discriminating iptraf logging information

Hello everyone!

I've installed iptraf on my system to keep track of network usage via a crontab entry and whatever necessary.
The problem is, I need to be able to log statistics about a couple of IPs individually. To put it simple with an example: say I have 3 boxes on the same network PC0, PC1 and PC2, I have installed iptraf on PC0 and want to log the network usage to/from PC1 and PC2 and have separate entries (or log files, anything) for each.
I can easily create filters within iptraf to separate the traffic according to the IP, but doing so will only log either the traffic with PC1 or PC2. Using no filter will log both but statistics will be a mix, which is clearly not what I'm trying to achieve.
I know iptraf can have multiple instances available when running on different interfaces, but the system has only one. On the other hand, I don't know if you can specify different filters for each instance, there doesn't seem to be a cli option for that and you can't open a second instance if using the ncurses-gui as far as I can tell. Is that possible?

Can this be done with iptraf? If so... any ideas how?
I'm open to using other tools, it's just that I found iptraf to be really lightweight and good and the least I want to do is burden the system with this. But if it's a no-go then I'll definitely grab something else.

Thank you all for your time!

-- Sycc

Last edited by sycc90 (2016-02-24 00:55:18)

#2 2016-01-10 20:52:30

paulkerry

Re: [SOLVED] Discriminating iptraf logging information

I'm unsure about iptraf, but iptables can give you this information.

Lots of info when searching online about "iptables bandwidth monitoring": this for instance -  https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/3 … h-iptables

#3 2016-02-24 00:54:20

sycc90

Re: [SOLVED] Discriminating iptraf logging information

Awesome, thanks!
I'm sorry for the late reply, I was busy and end up completely forgetting about this.

I was actually wondering if it could be done with iptraf, that's why the question... but yeah, I guess it just doesn't make sense when it can be done so easily with iptables.

-- Sycc

Board footer