You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-11 06:42:57

hayu

VMware NAT model not working

I am using VMware workstation to build a VM
Hosting system: ArchLinux
Guesting system: Windows 7

Everything works fine but the network.
When I chose the bridged model, it works fine. But if I turn it to NAT, the guesting system cannot ping any address outside it's subnet.

This situation won't show up neither when I use vbox instead of vmware nor on a windows hosting system .
I doubt the problem is the iptables settings between enp3s0(my physical network card connecting to the internet) and vmnet8, but I am not familiar with it.
Any suggestion?

#2 2016-01-11 11:06:10

Elizine
Website

Re: VMware NAT model not working

Please follow the below tutorial -
The current version of VMWare (Workstation 6.5.1, 6.5.2, Server 2.0.1, Player) doesn’t support NAT on Windows 7 (RC1). Typically you can ping servers and do nslookups but not use your Internet Browser or ssh/telnet etc.
But you can use the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

A more complex solution by removing all virtual adapters can be found in this VMWare Forum thread but this made some troubles on my PC so I simplified these instructions.

First Step: change virtual IP

Run “Manage Virtual Networks” (VMWare Player: start vmnetcfg.exe from installation directory) with administrave rights
go to “Host Virtual Network Mapping” tab, select the “>” next to VMnet1 and (if necessary) change the subnet to something different than 192.168.137.0 (for example 192.168.50.0) and click apply
go to “Host Virtual Network Mapping” tab, select the “>” next to VMnet8 and change the subnet to 192.168.137.0 and click apply
go to “NAT” tab, click edit and change gateway IP adress to 192.168.137.1 and click apply
It is not necessary to restart the NAT service.

Second Step: enable ICS

open the “Network and Sharing Center” and click “Change adapter settings”
open the properties of your LAN-Connection, go to the “sharing” tab and enable “allow other network users to connet through this computer’s internet connection” and select to connect through VMnet8
windows tells you that it will assign IP 192.168.137.1, click OK
Third Step: check VMs

If you have configured a fixed IP inside your VM you must change the IP4 Gateway and DNS1 to 192.168.137.1

Note 1: Port forwarding has to be configured using the ICS Settings button, not the VMWare NAT-Dialog.

Note 2: Windows 7 Beta seems to use 192.168.37.1 as IP für ICS.

Note 3: no Windows Firewall changes are necessary

Resource - https://florianlr.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/5/

#3 2016-01-12 00:45:41

hayu

Re: VMware NAT model not working

Elizine wrote:

Please follow the below tutorial -

Resource - https://florianlr.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/5/

Very nice tutorial , thanks. But I'd like how to achive this on a archlinux host system.
And on a widows host vmware player 12 works fine for me.

Board footer