You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-05 23:31:37

lambda

Questions about public network settings

Hi there guys, before asking my questions let me explain the situation.

I have an x60 laptop that runs Arch and I also carry with me a live Archbang live usb(I use it for times like the one I'm writing this post).

I'm on a public hospital network and have some questions that might, or might not have Arch specific answers.

First attempt:

I boot my thinkpad with Arch, and try to connect to the wifi with connman_dmenu: connman connects, but I'm unable to open any page.

Taking a look to /etc/resolv.conf i see smth like this:

domain <domain name>
nameserver 208.67.222.222

The nameserver was set in /etc/resolvconf.conf

Second attempt, booting to Archbang live, connecting to wifi via NetworkManager, connection succeeds, and /etc/resolv.conf
looks like this:

search <domain name>
nameserver <a specific ip>

Browsing worked with these settings so i rebooted to my Arch installation again, edited my /etc/resolv.conf to look like the one
that worked for Archbang, commented the nameserver line on /etc/resolvconf.conf and everything worked.

My question is how did NetworkManager "know" what settings to use and how could I get what information /etc/resolv.conf would need to work in the first place?

I hope I'm posting on the right section of the forums.

Last edited by lambda (2016-03-05 23:37:58)

#2 2016-03-07 14:24:32

Strike0

Re: Questions about public network settings

NetworkManager gets the DNS server <a specific ip>  to use from the DHCP server on connect. Maybe the only change you need to let connman do the same is comment out "nameserver 208.67.222.222", which you manually set in resolvconf.conf. If that works you can set manual DNS entries for the other connections where they work (obviously your hospital 'censors' the free use of public DNS servers).

Board footer