You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-10 16:46:16

kRYOoX

[SOLVED] DNS entries keep coming back

Hello,

As the title says, I'm having an issue with my DNS configuration.
Every time I suspend or reboot the computer, I find that old DNS entries have been reset in my /etc/resolv.conf file. It also occasionnaly happen without sending the computer to sleep but it's rare and I haven't been able to identify the trigger in those cases.

I'm pretty sure I didn't change anything in dhcpcd's configuration back when I installed Arch or ever since then. So the network configuration is pretty much stock Arch on a single ethernet interface.
No configuration means my IP, DNS servers, etc ... are probably dictated by DHCP server aka my router. But those DNS entries were removed from my router months ago.

I've read about a few workarounds, including for instance making my resolv.conf immutable. But I'm actually more interested in understanding why this is happening and actually fixing it.

I've tried to delete the lease file and the duid file, in order to force a new lease, but it didn't help.

This sums up all that I know of this problem. I'm not very knowledgeable on network, I have a basic understanding of how it works, but so far, everything has always worked right out of the box so I've never had to fiddle too much with it.
I'll be glad if anyone can share ideas as to where I could look, or what I could try to understand this problem and fix it. Let me know if I've forgotten any information that might be useful to diagnose the problem.

Regards.

Last edited by kRYOoX (2016-03-12 00:08:39)

#2 2016-03-10 17:51:34

branch

Re: [SOLVED] DNS entries keep coming back

kRYOoX wrote:

So the network configuration is pretty much stock Arch on a single ethernet interface.

There is no such thing. "Stock" Arch has no networking enabled, so exactly how did you configure your network? If you don't remember exactly everything you did then we are left trying to discover the current state. Some commands that may help with discovery:

grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat /etc/resolvconf.conf
cat /run/resolvconf/interfaces/*
systemctl -t service --state=active

#3 2016-03-10 19:45:35

kRYOoX

Hey branch, thank you for your input.

As far as I can remember, I installed Arch using the Beginner's Guide and never strayed from it. And I have no recollection of encountering any special cases or anything weird.
In my case, when I booted from my USB key with Arch's iso on it, I already had the eno1 interface up and configured. I could ping servers on the internet.
The only thing I ever had to do, following the same guide, was to make it persistent with : systemctl enable dhcpcd@eno1.service

As for the commands you suggested, here's their output :

$  grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts: files dns myhostname

$ ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 178 Mar 10 17:34 /etc/resolv.conf

(In the next command, the first for IPs are the ones that I'd like to get rid of but keep coming back. The last two are the correct ones that are set in my router.)
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by resolvconf
nameserver 192.71.249.83
nameserver 87.98.175.85
nameserver 212.117.180.146
nameserver 92.222.80.28
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

$ cat /etc/resolvconf.conf
# Configuration for resolvconf(8)
# See resolvconf.conf(5) for details

resolv_conf=/etc/resolv.conf
# If you run a local name server, you should uncomment the below line and
# configure your subscribers configuration files below.
#name_servers=127.0.0.1%

$ cat /run/resolvconf/interfaces/*
# Generated by dhcpcd from eno1.dhcp
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

# systemctl -t service --state=active
UNIT                                            LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION
accounts-daemon.service                         loaded active running Accounts Service
alsa-restore.service                            loaded active exited  Save/Restore Sound Card State
colord.service                                  loaded active running Manage, Install and Generate Color Profiles
dbus.service                                    loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus
dhcpcd@eno1.service                             loaded active running dhcpcd on eno1
gdm.service                                     loaded active running GNOME Display Manager
kmod-static-nodes.service                       loaded active exited  Create list of required static device nodes for
lm_sensors.service                              loaded active exited  Initialize hardware monitoring sensors
openvpn@client.service                          loaded active running OpenVPN connection to client
polkit.service                                  loaded active running Authorization Manager
rtkit-daemon.service                            loaded active running RealtimeKit Scheduling Policy Service
systemd-binfmt.service                          loaded active exited  Set Up Additional Binary Formats
systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-0f4db3de\x2d723f\x2d4103\x2d91ca\x2d0b847b079e63.service loaded active exited  File 
systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-7A84\x2dD374.service loaded active exited  File System Check on /dev/disk/by-uuid/7A
systemd-journal-flush.service                   loaded active exited  Flush Journal to Persistent Storage
systemd-journald.service                        loaded active running Journal Service
systemd-logind.service                          loaded active running Login Service
systemd-random-seed.service                     loaded active exited  Load/Save Random Seed
systemd-remount-fs.service                      loaded active exited  Remount Root and Kernel File Systems
systemd-sysctl.service                          loaded active exited  Apply Kernel Variables
systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service              loaded active exited  Create Static Device Nodes in /dev
systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                  loaded active exited  Create Volatile Files and Directories
systemd-udev-trigger.service                    loaded active exited  udev Coldplug all Devices
systemd-udevd.service                           loaded active running udev Kernel Device Manager
systemd-update-utmp.service                     loaded active exited  Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown
systemd-user-sessions.service                   loaded active exited  Permit User Sessions
systemd-vconsole-setup.service                  loaded active exited  Setup Virtual Console
udisks2.service                                 loaded active running Disk Manager
upower.service                                  loaded active running Daemon for power management
user@1000.service                               loaded active running User Manager for UID 1000
user@120.service                                loaded active running User Manager for UID 120
wpa_supplicant.service                          loaded active running WPA supplicant

Let me know what you think. wink

#4 2016-03-10 21:15:37

branch

This all looks good, except the extra entries. What is the output of

grep domain_name_servers /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Also try running radvdump (from the radvd package) for a while to see if those name servers are being advertised by an IPv6 Router Advertisement.

#5 2016-03-10 22:56:31

kRYOoX

Here you go :

$ grep domain_name_servers /etc/dhcpcd.conf
option domain_name_servers, domain_name, domain_search, host_name

As for the second command, I'm not sure how long I should let it run but i've left it for an hour or so, and through a suspend / wake cycle and I got no output whatsoever.

Last edited by kRYOoX (2016-03-10 22:58:49)

#6 2016-03-10 23:50:06

branch

Ok, time to get serious. Create /usr/lib/resolvconf/trace with the following contents:

#!/bin/bash
log=/tmp/resolvconf.trace
echo '========' >> "${log}"
/usr/bin/pstree -s "$$" >> "${log}"
resolvconf -v >> "${log}"

Then in a terminal, run:

watch cat /tmp/resolvconf.trace

Hopefully this will give some insight.

#7 2016-03-11 01:45:38

kRYOoX

Done.

Waiting for a while yielded nothing, but after a suspend/wake cycle, here's the output:

========
systemd---dhcpcd---dhcpcd-run-hook---resolvconf---resolvconf---pstree
DOMAIN=''
SEARCH=''
NAMESERVERS=''
LOCALNAMESERVERS=''
DOMAINS=''
========
systemd---dhcpcd---dhcpcd-run-hook---resolvconf---resolvconf---pstree
DOMAIN=''
SEARCH=''
NAMESERVERS='208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220'
LOCALNAMESERVERS=''
DOMAINS=''

It seems disappointing though, as the only nameservers mentionned are the correct one. The bad ones came back in my resolv.conf as usual.

#8 2016-03-11 22:25:03

branch

Yes, that is a bit disappointing. But it tells us that the rogue entries are not being set by a dhcp client; both dhcpcd and dhclient will use resolvconf. Which means they must be stored on the filesystem somewhere. I would start looking in /etc and /var:

for d in /etc /var; do
    find "${d}" -type f -exec grep -Hn "192\.71\.249\.83" {} + 2>/dev/null
done

The search will be more comprehensive if run as root, as some files may not be readable by regular users. Expand to other directories as necessary, but obviously avoid things like /sys, /proc, /dev.

Oops, I said avoid /proc, but even though it's a long shot you may as well check the contents of /proc/net/pnp if it exists.

ps. While wpa_supplicant should not modify resolv.conf, I can't help but wonder why it is active.

#9 2016-03-11 22:33:56

headkase

This is the dirty way to do it.  I point my DNS servers at OpenDNS, so I edit /etc/resolv.conf, and once it is my liking I make it immutable:

sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

From there nothing can change it.  Changes to resolv.conf take place immediately and to make the file mutable again do:

sudo chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf

And then it's back to normal.

Like I said, that's the dirty way to do it.

#10 2016-03-11 23:11:04

branch

While the OP said he did not want to go that route, it may be useful as a diagnostic measure. If it is immutable then something may complain in the system log about not being able to write to it.

#11 2016-03-11 23:25:16

kRYOoX

The search found a file that contains the rogue DNS servers :

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf.head
nameserver 192.71.249.83
nameserver 87.98.175.85
nameserver 212.117.180.146
nameserver 92.222.80.28

I assume that deleting that file would solve my problem ?

#12 2016-03-11 23:52:42

branch

That would do it.

For some reason I had thought that file was only used by dhcpcd when resolvconf is not found, but it appears that resolvconf its using it itself.

#13 2016-03-12 00:08:14

kRYOoX

Well it's done. Hopefully this should solve the problem, but I'll make sure to drop by if not.

At any rate, thank you very much for your time.

#14 2016-03-12 09:29:28

brebs

kRYOoX wrote:

/etc/resolv.conf.head

And the relevant script is 20-resolv.conf

Board footer