You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-04 18:13:56

d33p_th0ught

Wifi not working after reboot

After doing an update my wifi is no longer working (no networks showing up with NetworkManager or wifi-menu) after a reboot.
When I do a reboot the wifi is not working however when I do a normal shutdown the wifi is working again.

I am running 4.4.5-1-ARCH with gnome on my lenovo yoga 13.

Some info:

$ dmesg | grep firmware
[    2.510362] usb 1-1.4: rtl8xxxu: Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8723aufw_B_NoBT.bin
$ dmesg | grep usbcore
[    0.852118] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[    0.852143] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[    0.852195] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[    2.276315] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[    2.295507] usbcore: registered new interface driver btusb
[    2.305718] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
[    3.073690] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8xxxu
[    3.097339] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8723au
[    3.280579] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtsx_usb

I found someone witth the same issue however it was never solved:  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=196202

I also checked with 'rfkill' if something was blocked but everything looks fine here.

Executing the command 'ip link' gives the following output after a reboot:

2: wlp0s26u1u4i2: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000

and after a normal boot (where the wifi is wrking):

2: wlp0s26u1u4i2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000

Running 'wifi menu' after a reboot gives me:

Scanning for networks... failed
No networks found

and 'iwlist wlp0s26u1u4i2 scan returns

wlp0s26u1u4i2 No scan result

when the wifi is not working.

I also tried downgrading to an older kernel(4.1.4-1-ARCH). The result is that my wifi symbol is gone (I am using Network Manager. 'systemctl' says it is active) but I am able to connect via 'wifi-menu' without the weird issue that it's not possible after a reboot.
'dmesg | grep firmware' then returns:

rtl8723au: Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8723aufw_B.bin

When using the newest kernel(where I have the reboot issue) the rtl8xxxu firmware is used (which is not listed when executing 'dmesg | grep usbcore' on the older kernel).

So I guess I now have two options.
Trying to figure out why Network Manager is not working with an older kernel (If that is why the wifi symbol is not visible),
or keeping the new kernel and trying to change the firmware to the one that is used when I use an older kernel.

Does anyone know how to do that or has some other ideas what I could try?

My current workaround is removing and reloading the driver with 'rmmod rtl8xxxu' and 'modprobe rtl8xxxu' after a reboot.

#2 2016-10-02 19:58:45

hellslinger

Re: Wifi not working after reboot

Had same problem on Ubuntu. 4.4.0 kernel does not work for me, so I've gotten a specific revision of the 8723bu driver which is being developed here: https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8723bu

However, the latest version of this driver does not work right, it drops out constantly and there are 2 wireless network devices for some reason, one of which does nothing.

The solution was to install the 4.6.5 kernel and use this revision of the driver:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqa28icgk8cxr … r.zip?dl=0

It is random crazy luck that I happened to get this revision of the driver when I got this machine and kept it around after the latest version of the driver fails with the newer kernels.

Good luck.

Board footer