You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-16 10:49:12

AndyWM

(Solved) Cannot Connect to a Network [problem was a small fire...]

I've used Arch for almost a year now as my only system.

This morning presented me with a delightful problem, in that I can no longer connect to the internet. I haven't updated the system in a week or so, I haven't change any configs. I haven't installed any new programs in a long time.

Basically, I went to sleep with working internet - didn't turn the machine off, woke up without internet. Tried my laptop, works fine. Media centre PC with same ethernet cable, works fine.

Reboots my main system. I tried reseting the netctl profile with;

netctl restart ethernet-dhcp

Failed, and created no journal entry for journalctl - which was weird. Went a little deeper

systemctl status

Oh, state: degraded. 2 units failed. That's probably not a good thing

systemctl list-units --failed

*netctl@ethernet\x2ddhcp.service loaded failed failed Networking for profile ethernet-dhcp
*shadow.service ... (I tried a live image to test if the hardware was dead, hardware is fine)

systemctl status netctl@ethernet\\x2ddhcp.service

provides no additional information,  (failed, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

I tried clearing problem with

systemctl reset-failed

hoping they'd just magically disappear. No luck there.

Here I'm at a loss - I have no idea what to do next. Clock is also being a little wacky, it was an hour ahead - which maybe because it lost network time, but it also decided it was Feburary 19th so...

I have a lot of work to do - I can't really afford to spend the weekend solving this - so if this post doesn't help I guess my next step would be to reinstall. (anyone have any good backup scripts...).

Any ideas?

Last edited by AndyWM (2016-04-16 11:41:47)

#2 2016-04-16 11:08:19

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: (Solved) Cannot Connect to a Network [problem was a small fire...]

Check the cable is securely inserted at both ends, any activity lights? If no, try a different port on the switch. If still no activity lights, reset the switch. If you do get activity lights, stop any non-failed networking services you have running, and try the basics.

If you still have problems, post your journal (redirect it to a file on a thumbstick, then upload it from your laptop?) EDIT: And tell us more about your system, what is the output of 'lspci -vnn' and 'ip l'

On a side note, waiting until things start to go down the creek before considering backups is not a sensible thing to do. What if this was a disk failure?

Mod note: Moving to Networking. Please change your thread's title to something that describes the issue you are having e.g. "Cannot connect to network".

Last edited by WorMzy (2016-04-16 11:11:15)

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2016-04-16 11:24:44

AndyWM

@WorMzy

Title changed,

As I mentioned in my post, it isn't a hardware issue. I tried another OS with a live image. That one worked fine.

*shadow.service ... (I tried a live image to test if the hardware was dead, hardware is fine)

Additionally, as I said in my post the error creates no entry in journal. Last entry is just the start up log. Which now has bizzare dates if I'm honest.

As for if the disk failed? I'd lose my system, programs and configs. Along with probably half my user files, I keep code and reports mirrored with another machine, so something else would have to go wrong for me to lose that. I know I should backup - but I never do; maybe that'll hit me one day and I'll change my mind.

I can stream any logs that are requested, but I can't see anything in journalctl that even mentions the network. (I removed networking form my start up as I was diagnosing)

Last edited by AndyWM (2016-04-16 11:27:40)

#4 2016-04-16 11:40:17

AndyWM

Oh - that's bad. It came back for a little while.

I should explain, I use those homeplug things. It came back breifly so I went to investigate the one near the router. It was ever so slightly burned.

Found the problem...

Board footer