You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-23 14:30:26

Tom B
Website

Transmit keyboard/mouse events to another PC?

Is it possible to forward keystrokes/mouse movement to another PC on the network? Essentially I  want to forward keyboard/mouse events to a media server which doesn't have a keyboard or mouse connected (but does have a monitor, it's connected to my TV). Is there a way to do this? I'm thinking it should be possible fairly easily via bluetooth, have my laptop send the keystrokes and the server then just think the laptop is a bluetooth keyboard. Alternatively I could send the  information over wifi. Is there a simple way to do this?

Ideally I'd also like to stop the keys/mouse movements being resitered on the laptop until a specific key combination is pressed to "release" the connection and bring control back to the laptop. Is this possible? I'm assuming I'm not the first person who's wanted to do this so is there a ready-made solution I don't know about? Both the server and the clients are running Linux (Mostly Arch with a Mint laptop I'd also like to be able to do this)

edit: Performance isn't a massive problem, I'm not going to be using this setup for fast games so a small amount of lag is fine!

Thanks.

Last edited by Tom B (2016-04-23 14:31:25)

#2 2016-04-23 14:31:41

kokoko3k

Re: Transmit keyboard/mouse events to another PC?

i think synergy is what you're looking for
-edit-
(a small vnc window would do the trick too...)

Last edited by kokoko3k (2016-04-23 14:33:13)

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#3 2016-04-23 14:35:15

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Transmit keyboard/mouse events to another PC?

community/synergy

Edit:  Dang, snaked big_smile

Last edited by ewaller (2016-04-23 14:35:49)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer