You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-08 16:49:42

riwa

pacman freezes (because of iptables?).

It just freezes and nothing happens. Doesn't matter if I do -Sy or just -S it freezes without any output. I can just ^C to kill it though. I recently created a firewall using iptables (the one on wiki) and I'm not sure if I've used pacman since.

[edit]
hmm. I got some strange output now. I've usually killed it after a minute or so but now, however, I let it run and there seems to be something wring with my repos. Shouldn't it try the next one on the list?

Output so far:

184230/home/riwa/# pacman -Sy cdrdao
^[x:: Synchronizing package databases...
connect: Connection timed out
error: cannot connect to ftp.ds.hj.se

failed downloading /current/os/i686/current.db.tar.gz from archlinux.antesis.org : HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

connect: No route to host
error: cannot connect to ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr
error: could not cwd to /pub/archlinux/current/os/i686/: 550 Failed to change di rectory.

current                  [################] 100%      66K     3.0K/s  00:00:22
connect: Connection timed out
error: cannot connect to ftp.ds.hj.se

failed downloading /extra/os/i686/extra.db.tar.gz from archlinux.antesis.org: HT TP/1.1 404 Not Found

connect: No route to host
error: cannot connect to ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr
error: could not cwd to /pub/archlinux/extra/os/i686/: 550 Failed to change dire ctory.

extra                    [################] 100%     248K    30.1K/s  00:00:08
 unstable                 [################] 100%       4K     3.4K/s  00:00:01

[/edit]

If you must have must. Have must.
- DKE supporters about this wonderful swedish soda.

#2 2006-05-08 17:43:09

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: pacman freezes (because of iptables?).

Moved to Networking and Server forum.

This looks like your firewall is possible blocking the connection to the repos. Try turing off iptables /etc/rc.d/iptables stop and see if that helps.
You will see a cactus holding a steaming taco shortly. He is very wise in these matters, listen to him, my son.

#3 2006-05-08 18:15:13

riwa

Nope. No improvement. Still frozen. However, I got the program that I tried (where I said I got ouput). Could it be that my swedish repositories aren't up and running anymore?

#4 2006-05-08 22:02:50

jaboua

riwa wrote:

Nope. No improvement. Still frozen. However, I got the program that I tried (where I said I got ouput). Could it be that my swedish repositories aren't up and running anymore?

There are two hosts it can't connect to: the swedish and the french one. But the third repo in your serverlists is working - they might be down, having some DNS problems or something yes. I'm not sure if it's iptables because you can connect to the third server it tried (you see the  #'s after the reponame), but you might check if the third repo in the list is HTTP - in that case, the firewall might permit HTTP but disallow FTP (and if it uses "drop" instead of "block" or whatever it was called, it won't get any response from the server or firewall or anything - and freeze while waiting).

#5 2006-05-09 16:58:55

riwa

This is a sample of my pacman.d/current (the X first lines):

[current]
# Europe
Server = ftp://ftp.ds.hj.se/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/current/os/i686
Server = http://archlinux.antesis.org/current/os/i686
Server = ftp://ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr/pub/Linux/distrib/archlinux/current/os/i686
Server = ftp://ftp.archlinux.de/pub/archlinux/current/os/i686
Server = ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.archlinux.org/current/os/i686
Server = ftp://ftp.mpi-sb.mpg.de/pub/linux/mirror/ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/archlinux/current/os/i686
Server = ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/sunsite.unc-mirror/distributions/archlinux/current/os/i686
Server = ftp://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.archlinux.org/current/os/i686

It appears that my second but not third repos is http.

Board footer