You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-14 12:20:49

telis80

World Of Warcraft Shader Model 3 Fix

Ok this is not a problem that i have, but is a problem that i got fixed. As i searched around a lot of people have this problem (especially with hybrid graphics) and WoW does not recognize the shader model of the card and that leads to low graphics and terrible gameplay in archlinux. Because Legion comes out pre-patch in some days, i tryed to workaround this stupid bug but managed an easy fix, because WoW won't let people with low shader model play the new expansion(at least thats what they say).

So, i managed to fix this by first of all, do NOT override in "winecfg" ----> d3d9 or d3dx9 libraries. Let WoW use direct9. Go in "WTF" folder, open Config.wtf, and SET gxApi to "D3D9", instead of OpenGL. Of course you need to have wine-gecko and wine-mono installed.

It is a very simple fix but you never know what will work or not and i read about a lot of people been confused with optimus laptops as they couldn't enjoy a nice graphics card. I hope i helped somebody with this! If anyone has any problem with WoW in arch just post a comment and i will try to help!

**(For optimus-hybrid systems, open the WoW Folder, and run

vblank_mode=0 optirun -b primus wine "World Of Warcraft Launcher.exe" 

, it will run using Direct9 recognizing the shader model of the card)

Last edited by telis80 (2016-07-14 12:22:39)

I live at the Internet
-Edward Snowden

#2 2016-07-14 16:16:58

JohnBobSmith

Re: World Of Warcraft Shader Model 3 Fix

This should go into the game specific troubleshooting wiki. However, I should take my own advice first. Posts like yours are something im really bad at doing. So I will stop right here. Good job on finding a solution that works for you though!

P.S. Are some of World of Warcraft's files really called WTF?? Haha XD

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#3 2016-07-15 06:27:08

telis80

Re: World Of Warcraft Shader Model 3 Fix

Yeap! The file is also .wtf extension hahah, i think that early developers of the game had so much fun xD . I had for quite some time now this problem with WoW, even if you google "wow shader model 3" you will find a lot of people who have this problem, and the fix is quite easy if you know what to do. Especially now because the new expansion is coming out and when you open the game it says it clearly that users without graphics cards with high shader model wont be able to play the game. I hope i made someones day though haha.

I live at the Internet
-Edward Snowden

Board footer