You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-02 16:16:42

banshee28

Thin client ideas.....

So I am looking into possibly setting up a thin client server and 2 clients for my home network. Right now I have my main Arch PC which will be the server, the other PC with Arch will be client 1, and eventually build out (or clone) another Arch PC client.

So far LTSP looks interesting (Maybe NoMachine?), but not sure how the clients get installed. I see many Ubuntu setups and videos, but if I used this setup how would I go about creating a new Arch install or importing an existing Arch install for the client images?

I would like to get rid of the PC Towers and the extra bulk on each client desk, and I am ok with buying a very small Thin Client device such as one's from HP.

So would this be possible? The clients usually browse internet, watch YouTube, use Libre Office apps, local media files (audio, video), pictures, etc. So the clients would need to do pretty much what any standard desktop user would be able to do.

Thanks for any advice....

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

#2 2016-09-02 20:02:43

eschwartz
Fellow

Re: Thin client ideas.....

Well, generally you install the distro package... but unfortunately the LTSP package for Arch Linux got abandoned during the AUR3 ==> AUR4 migration.
(Which in turn means the maintainer was probably no longer interested in it and therefore wasn't actually making sure it was good quality.)

So, consider looking at the upstream LTSP packaging guidelines, and writing an AUR package.

Alternatively, just look at the information available in the Wiki for generic Diskless systems, and set something up manually.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#3 2016-09-03 01:53:04

banshee28

Interesting... Will look into the diskless system.

Also it seems like even if I got the LTSP working, local video files will play but not online videos like from YouTube? Would that be the case, even with a full OS install on the server? I am surprised this is not as popular as I though (or hoped, lol).

I do have a high quality 1G wired home network so not too concerned about network speed.

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

#4 2016-09-04 04:19:48

eschwartz
Fellow

Online videos should work fine, just like anything online... you may need to configure the internet connection though. wink

What made you think there is something specifically wrong with internet videos?

I think LTSP is more popular than you think, just not with Arch.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#5 2016-09-10 23:38:27

banshee28

Eschwartz wrote:

Online videos should work fine, just like anything online... you may need to configure the internet connection though. wink

What made you think there is something specifically wrong with internet videos?

I think LTSP is more popular than you think, just not with Arch.

Just read that somewhere online about video streaming. It may not have been accurate. Will keep looking. Thanks

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

Board footer