You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-29 08:33:43

thefiercerabbit

[SOLVED] Cinnamon vs. web browsers - inverted scrolling

It seems that Cinnamon and Firefox/Chromium/Vivaldi do not react the same way to VertScrollDelta value.
For instance, if I check Reverse scrolling direction in Mouse and Touchpad settings of Cinnamon, then I have a perfect natural scrolling working for applications such as text editors, terminal, etc...
However, web browsers reverse the scrolling value, which means react the complete opposite way. If natural scrolling is disabled in Cinnamon, then it will be active in the browsers.
I tried to setup my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf file as follow :

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
	Option "VertScrollDelta" "-111"
	Option "HorizScrollDelta" "-111"
EndSection

This doesn't change a thing, even after reboot.

The odd thing is that all my browsers have the same behaviour. Maybe it's Cinnamon's fault ?

I've left Debian for Arch yesterday, and I had Cinnamon installed on Debian. However, no scrolling problem there.

Thanks for your help.

### EDIT ###
On Firefox, it's possible to configure the scrolling delta in about:config. But this does not explain why the changes are not global, neither how to deal with all other browsers (or other concerned apps).

Last edited by thefiercerabbit (2016-09-29 23:06:05)

#2 2016-09-29 09:03:35

Awebb

Re: [SOLVED] Cinnamon vs. web browsers - inverted scrolling

Rule out Cinnamon. Install something lightweight like Openbox and test the synaptics.conf settings. I suspect Cinnamon overrides the default X settings. It is also possible, that the override is also only valid for proper GTK+/Gnome type applications (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=179667).

#3 2016-09-29 10:07:05

thefiercerabbit

Re: [SOLVED] Cinnamon vs. web browsers - inverted scrolling

Hey, that did the trick ! Maybe a conflict between xmodmap and Cinnamon settings.
So I have a classic ~/.Xmodmap file, with pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 inside. And Cinnamon is configured to use Reverse scrolling direction.
Thanks for the link.

The main reasons I use Cinnamon instead of others desktop environments is that it's basically Gnome and have this absolutely wonderful tiling shortcuts to quickly resize your windows 1/2 or 1/4 of your screen size and move them to the selected corner. If you have any suggestion to switch to a more lightweight DE, which can basically do the same, I'm curious.

Board footer