You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-07 14:42:08

cola

How can I setup and start pppoe connection?

Hi,

I've installed archlinux on virtualbox using archlinux-2016.10.01-dual.iso livecd.

Internet connection was ok(automatically connected) from that livecd. But after login into the installed archlinux, internet connectin is not working.
I've installed rp-pppoe,ppp and did: pppoe-setup, pppoe-start doesn't start.

ifconfig shows enp0s3 instead of eth0. So during pppoe-setup I type enp0s3 instead of eth0. But it's still not working.
Can anyone tell me the process to setup pppoe connection in archlinux?

The archlinux inside virtualbox has different mac address than the main operating system. The pppoe connection has username and password, it's bound to specific mac addresss, that is the main operating system's mac address.

Any answer will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by cola (2016-10-07 14:53:55)

#2 2016-10-07 16:30:09

ewaller
Administrator

Re: How can I setup and start pppoe connection?

That is not generally how you want to network a VM.  Your host computer is the computer that connects to the real world networks.  Your virtual machine has a virtual network interface that talks over a virtual network to the virtualization software running on the host.  That software running on the host has the responsibility of providing NAT forwarding or bridging from the virtual network to a physical network. 

TL;DR, just use a DHCP client to get an address from the host.  Look at you VirtualBox settings for your VM.  The networking type probably wants to be NAT.  Moke sure the host is connected to the network.  It should just work.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-10-08 03:24:42

cola

"dhcpcd enp0s3" works. Why is it named enp0s3 instead of eth0 ? Most of the other linux distribution has eth0.

#4 2016-10-08 14:38:38

ewaller
Administrator

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer