You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-20 21:52:38

wenugo

Choose network connection for internet access

Hi,

at the moment I'm working with netctl to connect to wireless networks.
When there is a wireless network connection with internet access and I'm connecting to a second network with internet access, my device still accesses the internet over the first connection.
How do I change/select the used connection? Does iproute has something to do with that? Or do I have to use directly wpa_supplicant instead of netctl for that?

Do you have a solution or could you maybe push me to the right direction, please?

Last edited by wenugo (2016-10-20 21:54:12)

#2 2016-10-20 22:57:32

Leonid.I

Re: Choose network connection for internet access

Well, the problem is to tell wpa_supplicant which network to use. For that you need to be able to start/stop wpa_supplicant and manipulate its configuration manually, because it is difficult to do in an automated fashion. This requires root privileges and can not be done as a regular user. Unless of course, you use polkit to elevate your privileges. But netctl doesn't know how to talk to polkit.

There is /usr/bin/wifi-menu (part of netctl package) for interactive switching of wireless networks but this tool must be run as root, which I find a bit hacky. So, if you need proper interactive network management tool, use wicd or network-manager or what not. Netctl or systemd-networkd are for a simpler, automated configuration...

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

Board footer