You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-27 12:45:01

anno2100

[SOLVED] NetworkManager works with un- but not with encrypted pwd

Hi guys

I have an issue with my NetworkManager trying to connect to wireless networks. It works perfectly fine for ethernet.

Quick overview of my system:
linux 4.8.4-1
Kde 5 plasma
NetworkManager

lspci -k:
04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 (rev 3a)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 0130
	Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
	Kernel modules: iwlwifi

So now to my problem:
I use the plasma-nm applet for NetworkManager and it displays all available networks as expected. Also

sudo iw dev wlp4s0 scan

shows me the networks so the wirless card should be working fine.

If I add a network and select "store password and make it available for all users (not encrypted)" then I can connect to my wireless networks without any problem.
But if I select "store password for this user only (encrypted)" then it tries to connect and after about 2 minutes  I get the error message "connection deactivated, no secrets were provided".

Now I have two questions:
* I don't feel comfortable storing my wifi passwords in plaintext. Is it really that bad or can it not be accessed anyways?
* Is there a way to make the other option work too? There might be something wrong with my kdewallet or some config but after hours and hours of reading, trying and googling of me not find a solution I'm out of ideas.

I'm super happy for any help and answers I can get. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
anno

Last edited by anno2100 (2016-10-28 12:52:23)

#2 2016-10-28 12:51:44

anno2100

Re: [SOLVED] NetworkManager works with un- but not with encrypted pwd

Ok I got it working altough I'm not completely sure how exactly.

I had to fix another bug with dolphin and thus executed
"/usr/lib/vlc/vlc-cache-gen -f /usr/lib/vlc/plugins"

Afterwards I could also connect to my wireless networks again. I don't know if they correlate in any way but I thought I'd write it if someone has the same problem in the future.

Board footer