You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-27 15:25:30

keepitsimpleengineer

[WORKAROUND]systemd-networkd failed connection on simple wired network

On my main computer I use a simple systemd-networkd through single main-board Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Ethernet controller with kernel module r8169. No WiFi on system.  This morning no LAN connection on Archlinux, connections ok on Windows and another Linux disto.

/etc/systemd/network/wired.network

[Match]
Name=enp3s0

[Network]
DHCP=ipv4

systemctl status systemd-networkd.service reports:
loaded, enabled & active; and
“enps70: Renamed to eth0” and then “eth0: Renamed to enp7s0” at systemd-networkd[408]

ip addr reports enp7s0 as “DOWN”

systemd is 231, no recent changes in configuration.

I don’t have a clue, and am looking for suggestions...

Last edited by keepitsimpleengineer (2016-10-27 17:16:38)

Al Einstein: "Man soll die Dinge so einfach machen wie möglich ~ aber nicht einfacher." (Things should be as simple as possible ~ but not too simple.) ~ Al (Einstein) war ein Cousin von Albert, "Al" ist die Abkürzung für Aloysius

#2 2016-10-27 16:55:03

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [WORKAROUND]systemd-networkd failed connection on simple wired network

You have enp3s0 in your config but systemd reports your network device as enp7s0.

Did this happen after an update?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2016-10-27 17:15:37

keepitsimpleengineer

slithery wrote:

You have enp3s0 in your config but systemd reports your network device as enp7s0.

Did this happen after an update?

No, but it happened after a hardware change sad

Apparently the addition of a PCIe-SATAIII-USB3 adapter card resulted in udev changing around the device names.

After discovering the reason for the name change,  I  added a udev rule to change the Ethernet device to a static name.
udev ignored this effort.

So I relented and modified the /etc/systemd/network/wired.network file to use udev determined name, enp7s0.

Now I have a working LAN connection, and something new to worry about with systemd... .. . roll

Thanks for the question smile

Al Einstein: "Man soll die Dinge so einfach machen wie möglich ~ aber nicht einfacher." (Things should be as simple as possible ~ but not too simple.) ~ Al (Einstein) war ein Cousin von Albert, "Al" ist die Abkürzung für Aloysius

#4 2016-10-27 17:35:23

ukhippo

Change the name match in your .network file to the wildcard “en*”. That will cope with any future renames.

I personally use .link files to map MAC address to a name (I have 2 ports so I call mine wired0 and wired1) rather than rely on systemd's default naming scheme.

Board footer