You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-27 17:55:55

lagagnon
Website

How select wireless network infrequently?

I have two distinct networks and ISP's - both on separate routers. The default network is ethernet wired to my Arch laptop and is the one I will be using about 80% of the time - it works fine and consistently. I normally have the WiFi chip turned off on this laptop.

The second network is WiFi only and I want to be able to swap to this network on an infrequent basis with a simple command alias. And then do same to swap back to the wired network. I've been reading the wiki on how I might do this but I guess I am honestly getting confused as to the easiest and best way to do this.

Any ideas appreciated...

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#2 2016-10-27 18:04:54

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: How select wireless network infrequently?

Connman will automatically switch to a known wireless network when the ethernet cable is unplugged.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-10-27 18:12:33

ewaller
Administrator

I would use the following services: systemd-networkd,  wpa_supplicant@
Set the RouteMetric for the wireless lower than that of the wired using the config files in /etc/systemd/network

When you turn on the wifi, it should connect and "Win" because of the better metrics.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2016-10-28 00:57:01

lagagnon
Website

ewaller: that's a sexy method. Just tried it and thank you very much. Works a charm.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

Board footer