You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-30 18:31:47

MXI

Cannot start ArchLinux: Kernel panic - not syncing

Hello,

I have had Arch Linux installed on my computer and running perfectly fine for about a month (new machine).

A few days ago, I had several freezes forcing me to restart when launching certain apps (for the sake of completeness: HoI4 and EUIV). journalctl highlighted these as "kernel panic". As I could not figure out what was going on and wanted to change my partitions anyway, I decided to fully reinstall Arch.

I successfully installed it from a bootable USB built with Rufus. When configuring lxqt, same thing: freeze (I was clicking on the various themes). Since then, I just cannot start the computer again, following message appears during boot, freezing:

Kernel panic - not syncing: Timeout: Not all CPUs entered broadcast exception handler
Shutting down CPUs with NMI
Kernel Offset: disabled
Rebooting in 30 seconds
ACPI MEMORY or I/O RESET_REG.

The exact same message appears when I try to boot from the USB disk (to try a new install). I am therefore currently sitting with a computer that can only serve as decoration sad

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

MXI

EDIT: I forgot - I have an intel 6700K and motherboard is asus Maximus VIII Hero.

Last edited by MXI (2016-10-30 18:33:37)

#2 2016-10-30 22:00:58

seth

#3 2016-10-31 09:31:33

MXI

Re: Cannot start ArchLinux: Kernel panic - not syncing

Thanks.

I did read this thread before posting though, and I did not think it applied to this situation as:
- Intel ucode were installed and the machine worked properly for a month
- it is not a specific application I would launch that causes the crash but simply trying to boot, both installed arch and usb arch
- speed boot has always been disabled
- kernel on the usb stick is the latest one available to download (done it yesterday)

However, although I thought my bios was up to date, I have not checked - bad of me. Will do tonight, nothing to lose.

Edit: typo.

Last edited by MXI (2016-10-31 09:36:01)

#4 2016-10-31 20:51:53

MXI

Re: Cannot start ArchLinux: Kernel panic - not syncing

I confirm my bios is fully up to date as well.

I really donot know. Tomorrow I will try another linux distribution, really hope it is not caused by hardware.

Board footer