You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-29 20:40:07

smpolymen

Interface set NOARP on boot - Not sending ARP - Can't reach any host

This is kind of a strange one for me.

I am unable to ping any device in my LAN (or my gateway and internet.) DHCP does work in that I can get a new lease just fine and my router confirms that I have that lease.

The weird thing is when I run a cable direct from my Arch machine to another (taking out any switch or router misconfig,) it still doesn't work. Running Wireshark on that connected machine, I see my Arch machine is not sending ARP requests.

I'm not sure what I would need to do to troubleshoot this on the Arch side. I did load an old Arch USB installer and the network worked fine with that. Unless I'm barking up the wrong tree, what would be affecting ARP on my machine?

Last edited by smpolymen (2016-11-29 22:00:22)

#2 2016-11-29 21:51:24

smpolymen

Re: Interface set NOARP on boot - Not sending ARP - Can't reach any host

OK, I half figured it out. looking at ip link, all my interfaces were flagged NOARP. When I manually "ip link set arp on DEVICE" it starts working until reboot. Now I am trying to figure out why that flag is getting set at boot. It's an ethernet interface with two vlan subinterfaces. Those shouldn't be considered point-to-point, so I am not sure yet why ARP is being disabled.

#3 2016-11-29 22:34:53

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Interface set NOARP on boot - Not sending ARP - Can't reach any host

I'm not very familiar with network setup so I can't be of much help besides some general pointers, as a start I would disable any network setup script and/or undo any custom network setup you might have, then reboot and check if you still see the same problem. Rebuild your network setup step by step and check when the problem starts happening after a reboot.

You will then have narrowed down the possible causes of the problem and it should be a matter of reading the documentation regarding that step, maybe there is a way to disable that or that is a known catch you were not aware of.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer