You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-12 19:42:43

Qowy

Samba: Cannot connect using SMB 3.0(2) to Windows Server Share

Hi,
I did some further testing so the question changed, see original below.

Ok connecting using smb vers=3.0 works if I disable encryption on the windows server.
However this should be optional (RejectUnencryptedAccess is set to false) and another linux (archARM) machine running kernel 4.4 (which has no encryption support) works correctly

according to https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LinuxCIFSKernel preliminary encryption support was implemented in 4.5
Apparently it was never correctly finished.

So how can I tell mount.cifs to ignore encryption while retaining SMB 3.0 support (or even better get encryption to work)

---ORIGINAL QUESTION---

Hi,
I have a problem with a new arch server that I set up. I cannot connect to a windows server share using SMB 3.02; SMB 2.0 works fine however.
There is no error message the mount command just hangs indefinitely.

This works:

sudo mount -t cifs "//fileserver/TV and Movies/Tmp" /mnt/videoTemp -o credentials=/etc/samba/creds/video-tmp,iocharset=utf8,rw,vers=2.0

This does not:

sudo mount -t cifs "//fileserver/TV and Movies/Tmp" /mnt/videoTemp -o credentials=/etc/samba/creds/video-tmp,iocharset=utf8,rw,vers=3.02

Interestingly I have an archARM raspberry Pi which mounts just fine using vers=3.02 (albeit without encryption since it is still running kernel 4.4 I think)

/etc/samba/smb.conf contents are as follows on both:

[global]
 unix extensions = no
 client max protocol = SMB3

Last edited by Qowy (2016-12-12 20:10:45)

#2 2016-12-12 20:17:59

alphaniner

Re: Samba: Cannot connect using SMB 3.0(2) to Windows Server Share

A few 'boilerplate' suggestions:

If possible, try to mount with encryption disabled and vers=3.02 from the Arch box.
Increase verbosity: mount has '-v' and cifs type has its own '--verbose'. Note that '--verbose' "must be specified before the -o."
Check event log on Windows server.

Also, I'm not sure what to make of it but mount.cifs(8) indicates that only '1.0', '2.0', '2.1', and '3.0' are allowed values for 'vers'. OTOH it's also dated 2010...

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2016-12-12 20:37:05

Qowy

As I wrote in my edit disabling encryption (on the Windows Server 2012r2) solves vers=3.0 not working.
However this cannot be the solution as the Windows machines obviously should continue to encrypt if they connect.

Furthermore it is possible to use smb 3.0 without encryption (which I am doing on my raspberry)

I just tested and Ubuntu 16.10 shows the same behavior, so unless this is a configuration issue, this seems to be a kernel bug. Where would I report something like this.

The verbose options provide no messages except the first line repeating my input.

I tried both 3.02 and 3.0 no change there

Edit: And yes man mount.cifs is horribly outdated if you look at the kernel source you can see that they even added ver=3.11 (but it seems it is not compiled in most distributions since it is flagged experimental; at least ver=3.11 throws an error for me)
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commi … 949b696f84

Last edited by Qowy (2016-12-12 20:49:25)

#4 2016-12-15 19:27:26

Qowy

Since nobody has any idea apparently, should I just contact the module maintainer listed in "modinfo cifs"?

Board footer