You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-28 15:16:40

inormatics

Recover hard drive partition without losing data

Hey !

I screwed up.

I just wrote a linux iso to my backup drive. So now i have a 1 tb linux usb.

There are some files on the drive that i really need. The files are not encrypted and stored i think in a GPT under EXT4.

Is there a way to firx the partition without formatting it, or to browse files using ext4 in some way.

I do not want to use photorec or foremost etc. because the files i try to recover , the names will change which will leave me with a pile of unsorted stuff(correct me if i am wrong).

If someone knows a genius solution it will be very much appreciated !!

Regards,
Tim

#2 2016-12-28 15:35:53

alphaniner

Re: Recover hard drive partition without losing data

Anything that was on the beginning of the drive (up to the size of the ISO) is gone forever or corrupt. As for the rest, you have your work cut out for you. Only thing I can recommend is to dd the entire drive to another drive before trying any recovery method that is rw (for example, fsck repair using a superblock backup). This way you can always dd restore from the backup if recovery attempts make things worse and/or to try different recovery methods.

Last edited by alphaniner (2016-12-28 15:36:31)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

Board footer