You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-30 10:41:27

whoops

[solved]ssh freezes during intermittent output (or read)

Hi!

I've had this problem for a long time. Client was always arch and I hoped the problem would go away when I migrated the server to arch. It didn't. I don't know how to debug this - partially because it seems to be the opposite of the problem "everyone else" is having with ssh (mine does work great both when it's idle AND when something dumps a lot of text very fast).

ssh session with those freezes:
- journalctl -f usually freezes after less than a minute.
- pacman often freezes when it should be asking for confirmation
- had the same problem, just MUCH worse, with apt-get before I migrated (only way to make it run was basically "yes | apt-get & disown", then pray)
- piping to "sort" or anything that collects / delays output will often freeze
- rsync will run for a loooong time sometimes before it freezes (probably when it doesn't find anything to talk about for too long)

ssh session running those usually works fine:
- journalctl pager or no-pager (as long as it isn't -f) will usually work without problems, even if I dump a whole weeks worth of log spam at once.
- cat / compiling / find / anything that generated a LOT of output at once + without pauses usually runs without problems
- nano / vim - can leave them open for the whole day, no problem.
- just the shell: same thing. No input / output required, doesn't ever time out or freeze.
- sudo - irritatingly - has always worked fine, even if I don't respond to it immediately

Very rarely, the ssh session recovers a few minutes after the command is finished or starts generating output but usually not and I can see from a second ssh that sometimes only seconds after I ran the freezing command, its process dies for mysterious reasons (shell that owns it closed?). If I hit ctrl+c at least a 10 times soon enough after the freeze starts, chances that it recovers after 30 seconds or so seem greatly enhanced.

And that's what I did so far:
- I tried messing with the "*Alive*" settings on both server and client but only managed to make it much worse (I get timeouts in addition to the freezes if I mess with the servers settings... client settings only seems to change how long the freezes last before the ssh client closes).
- Checked + tested my MTU for some reason. I'm not sure why - Google made me do it but didn't tell me what to do with the result oft those tests. *shrug* my mtu... looks... probably fine I guess?
- Tried mosh, which works "great". Except for almost all the things that aren't working with ssh anyway, I really need client-side scroll-back and I didn't even manage to get server-side scroll-back working with mosh - it might even be impossible with the current versions of mosh/tmux/etc.
- Also tried randomly turning various optional ssh & sshd settings on and off with no (or at least no positive) effect.

Any ideas how to get a more reliable ssh?

Last edited by whoops (2017-01-25 23:29:23)

#2 2016-12-31 23:10:22

paulkerry

Re: [solved]ssh freezes during intermittent output (or read)

ssh is normally totally reliable with out of the box settings.

I'm thinking on the lines of you having networking issues (dns, network driver, wired/wireless settings, bad nic) or a firewall setting could be causing this?

#3 2017-01-07 13:44:44

whoops

I haven't been able to find any obvious "networking issues"... since I don't know what  exactly to look for, that's not saying much though (as I wrote above, I messed around with ping / MTU etc a bit... which looked ok'ish, as far as I can see... but yes, that's not particularity "far").

So... my next step would be "wait until I get a new ISP in a few weeks, hope that the problem magically fixes itself"... unless there's something else I should try in the meantime?
Or is there something I should test / log / record (just in case the problem really disappears, so there's something documented for "posteriority")?

#4 2017-01-07 17:06:24

ewaller
Administrator

I don't have the same issues as do you.  My issues are the timing out and having the connection shut down.   As a workaround, what happens if you run a tmux session inside of your ssh session?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2017-01-08 09:05:18

whoops

With tmux, "journalctl -f" appear to work for a while longer, but then ssh times out (and breaks the terminal / mouse button creates random binary strings).
Had an ssh session without tmux idle at the same time and that one's still working fine.
And another one with just "journalctl -f", which froze before even one new line came through.

edit: I guess it really was my ISP somehow. Wasn't able to figure out how / what exactly the problem was. After switching ISP (and changing nothing else) it's working flawlessly now.

Last edited by whoops (2017-01-25 23:29:02)

Board footer