You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-31 15:07:10

lumeno

Can't establish SSL connection with some wireless networks

I'd like some help diagnosing this. With some wireless connections, especially those that are public and require me to log in at a webpage, I am unable to establish an SSL connection and hence have usable internet. I know this because Chrome, Firefox and wget give me "cannot establish SSL" or equivalent even though, say, "google.com" is pingable.

I can connect to the same wireless network with my phone with no issues (after passing through the login page). And I can also connect to the network and access the internet through USB tethering with said phone (when the phone is connected to the problematic  wifi network). I'm also directly able to connect to a secure wireless tether when my phone is connected to the internet through its 4G connection.

So the issue is with wireless on Arch. How would I go about dianosing this?

#2 2016-12-31 17:01:40

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Can't establish SSL connection with some wireless networks

Have you considered this being an IPv4 v IPv6 problem?  For example, when I ping Google, the default is an IPv6 response.
I would also make sure that I don't go out of my way to force the issue with public APs; perhaps something nefarious is happening, and your system is keeping you out of the fray.

How about a VPN?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer