You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-24 22:48:08

xer01ne

Creating network bridge for virtual machine on headless server

I am trying to setup a virtual machine with libvirt/kvm.  When I enter the following command:

virt-install --name win10 --ram=4096 --vcpus=2 --cpu host --hvm --disk /var/lib/libvirt/images/win10,size=32 --cdrom /srv/Storage/ISO/Win10Latest.iso --graphics vnc --network user

i get this:

WARNING  No operating system detected, VM performance may suffer. Specify an OS with --os-variant for optimal results.
WARNING  Graphics requested but DISPLAY is not set. Not running virt-viewer.
WARNING  No console to launch for the guest, defaulting to --wait -1

Starting install...
Creating domain...                                          |    0 B  00:00     
Domain installation still in progress. Waiting for installation to complete.

The problem is, it never completes the installation.  Another issue I have run into is that, I cannot connect to the domain via port 5900.

virsh list --all

Id    Name                           State
----------------------------------------------------
 1     win10                           running

virsh dumpxml win10 |grep vnc

<graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' listen='127.0.0.1'>

All signs point to the fact that I need to setup a network bridge (since I can't connect to port 5900 and port 5900 isn't even active on the server).  I've attempted to create a bridge, using netctl, but when I try to start this interface, my ssh disconnects immediately and I cannot gain access via ssh anymore until I reboot.

Description="br0 Bridge"
Interface=br0
Connection=bridge
BindsToInterfaces=(enp1s0)
IP=dhcp

I am a little confused because, I'm not sure if I am setting the bridge up right nor do I think I am doing the virtual machine right either.  Looking for a little assistance to get in the right direction.  Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by xer01ne (2017-01-24 22:58:35)

Board footer