You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-25 14:08:07

kluvin

[Solved] Xorg segfaults, and has missing configs after swapping WM

Not really solved, I now know a little better what's going on, and it has nothing to do with X.

Symptoms

After switching to Openbox from xfwm4, which was provided with xfce4: in /etc/X11/ 'xorg.conf', and all files in '/xorg.conf.d' are missing. I am unable to automatically generate them myself with neither the 'nvidia-xconfig' tool nor with 'Xorg :0 -configure' and copying that too /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The provided error, below, occurs whenever I try to do most anything with Xorg. Alternatively, when I try to run the 'nvidia-xconfig' I get a slightly different message, again below.

Error messages

PS:   These errors only occur after I shut down X with 'systemctl stop lightdm', otherwise X complains the server is already running at display 0, and is locked.
PPS: Error messages are quoted verbatim by me, on my laptop, as I don't have a UI. Thus I have excluded some info.

Running ''sudo nvidia-xconfig" as per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … figuration

WARNING: Unable to locate/open X configuration file.

Package xorg-server was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xorg-server.pc`
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package `xorg-server` found

ERROR: Unable to write to directory `/etc/X11/xorg.conf`

Running "sudo Xconfig :0 -configure" as per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xo … conf_files

Xorg X Server 1.19.1
Release date: 2017-01-11
Build OS: Linux 4.8.14-1-ARCH x86_64
Current OS: Linux 4.9.11-1-ARCH # SMP PREEMPT
Kernel Parameters: initrd=/initramfs-linux.img root=/dev/sda2 rw nomodeset
Build Date: Feb 14 2017

Pixman Version: 0.34.0

# The following lines are all prefixed with '(EE)', the error marker, and /usr/lib/ except where noted

[b]Backtrace:[/b]

1: xorg-server/Xorg (oslookupcolor) [random address]
2: libpthread.so.0 __restore_rt+0x0) [random address]
[...] # Lines I can provide
8: xorg-server/Xorg (_start+0x2a) [random address]

# End of line number prefixes

Segmentation fault at address 0x50

Fatal Server Error:
Caught Signal 11 (Segfault). Server aborting

Please check the log file for additional info # I can write this down, but I [i]really[/i] don't want to

Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file
Aborted
Additional observations

Upon logging in from my LightDM, I am inside my desktop, but without my WM, so I cannot do much. As far as I can tell: either I need to manually write my own xorg.conf (assuming this is the cause of the segfault), or I need to fix the segfault (by some other means) so I can automatically create one.

I have the ~.xinitrc file, and contains a line that would supposedly start Openbox.

Expected behavior

I need the xorg configuration files back, and the window manager to start automatically.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there's anything, please let me know. Also, please forgive the mess this is.

Thanks, kluvin

Last edited by kluvin (2017-02-25 15:56:58)

#2 2017-02-25 14:27:09

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [Solved] Xorg segfaults, and has missing configs after swapping WM

You are going off on the wrong track. That the xorg.conf files are missing is the normal and default state and is correct in most cases as Xorg is capable of configuring itself neither of the commands (nvidia-xconfig or xorg configure) are recommended to be used unless you know exactly why you would want to use them. Also Xorg seems to start up, as you apparently are able to get to a desktop and would have access to a WM if you were to use xfwm instead.  You might want to post your .xinitrc and well yes, xorg logs. In and of itself I've seen that stack trace happen when xf86-input-wacom was involved, if you have that installed try to remove it and check if the error is reproducible.

In order to not have to write down these things by hand you might be interested in command line pastebin clients: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … in_clients

#3 2017-02-25 15:11:31

kluvin

Alright, here is the output of 'Xorg :0 -configure', as mentioned this happens on other commands as well, I just chose that one. My xinitrc is here.

I don't have xf86-input-wacom installed, so that shouldn't be the issue.

EDIT: I typed this in a bit of a rush. The obligatory next step is having Openbox start. As X should've started it when reading xinit, right?
EDIT2: My problem has nothing to do with X, I've marked this as solved and asked another.
EDIT3: I lied, I was planning to ask another question, but no need now, I'm just stupid and changed something I shouldn't have. Thanks anyways.

Last edited by kluvin (2017-02-25 16:08:39)

#4 2017-02-28 07:19:57

Don Coyote

V1del wrote:

You are going off on the wrong track. That the xorg.conf files are missing is the normal and default state and is correct in most cases as Xorg is capable of configuring itself neither of the commands (nvidia-xconfig or xorg configure) are recommended to be used unless you know exactly why you would want to use them.

Researching my own Xorg problem i came across this statement. The Wiki Xorg entry under configuration states:

Note: Arch supplies default configuration files in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d, and no extra configuration is necessary for most setups.

Am i reading the context wrong or should i be investigating why i have no default configuration files showing up?

#5 2017-02-28 08:26:16

V1del
Forum Moderator

Read the paths, /usr/share != /etc

Last edited by V1del (2017-02-28 08:26:38)

#6 2017-08-04 23:22:13

MrCelticFox

kluvin wrote:

EDIT3: I lied, I was planning to ask another question, but no need now, I'm just stupid and changed something I shouldn't have. Thanks anyways.

I'm curious to know what your fix was in the end, because I'm having issues starting Xorg, and my log file is almost identical to yours.

#7 2017-08-05 02:31:55

V1del
Forum Moderator

That's impossible there was no log files posted. As mentioned these outputs are both from commands that you shouldn't be using. Whatever this threads issue was (he likely did have a xorg.conf that he actually didn't need), chances that this is the same as yours are very unlikely. Open up a new thread post your actual log and configuration files and complete outputs and error messages you come across

And do not necrobump solved threads.

Gonna close this now.

Board footer