You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-14 08:57:34

benplaut

[User error - please replace user] [SOLVED] madwifi trouble

Man... how many of these are there!?  roll

A few days ago, i installed Arch.  Hooked up to ethernet, i enabled Unstable and installed madwifi-ng (and deps, of course).  I modprobe ath_pci, and ath0 appeared in ifconfig and iwconfig.

I configured everything as normal with iwconfig, disconnected eth0, and tried to fetch a dhcp address.  For then, everything worked great.

The next day, i reboot (unplugged from eth0), and the wireless is being weird.  I can configure it, obtain an IP, ping the router, but i can't get online.  I hooked back up to eth0, and with a bit of fiddling, could get the wireless working in the regular manner.

Assuming it was a madwifi problem, i went to AUR and got the stable branch of madwifi, as i'd never used NG before, and it might be different.  I downloaded the package (btw, i think the package isn't put together correctly. It required alot of fiddling), makepkg, and installed the result with pacman -A.

I rebooted, and i couldn't get an dhcp IP.  I looked back over my bash history, and noticed that i had forgotten to get rid of madwifi-ng before installing stable.  I uninstalled NG, but not the dependencies, and rebooted again.  Same problem.

Advice would be appreciated smile

#2 2006-06-15 05:15:09

benplaut

Re: [User error - please replace user] [SOLVED] madwifi trouble

i uninstalled both, resinstalled ng (from unstable), rebooted, and did the following:

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig ath0 up
iwconfig ath0 essid RoadRunner
iwconfig ath0 key fffffffdff
dhcpcd ath0

everything is working fine... i think it got messed up with having both.

Board footer