You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-25 16:06:29

lapsio

Advanced networking for VMs with NetworkManager (multiple bridges)

I have hypervisor running several VMs in virtualized network infrastructure:

eth0 - physical interface with vlan0 (management network) and vlan1 (gw)
br0 - management interface attached to vlan0. Only hypervisor uses it.
brwan - gateway bridge with WAN gateway (vlan1). Router VMs performing NAT are attached here and only 1 router VM is active at once on this bridge.
brvm0 - virtual bridge just for VMs (host doesn't have address here)
brvm5 - like above

As you can see considering given constraints brwan and br0 are "optional" in a sense they could be replaced by assigning address on vlan0 and attaching vlan1 to Rotuer VMs I just preferred working with bridges to simplify config changes and make it more uniform. And I know how to do it with systemd-networkd on Arch and wicked on OpenSUSE, cool.

The thing is - now I want to clone this infrastructure to mobile workstation preserving enough compatibility to be able to boot the same VMs both on stationary and mobile workstation. And the problem is that wifi should connect automatically so I need to use NetworkManager or something else with automatic wifi config (I prefer NetworkManager because it's available on both OpenSUSE and Arch and it integrates nicely with KDE, but if it can't work then I'm open to other suggestions). But I have no idea how to create multiple "empty" bridges with NetworkManager - it simply doesn't allow me create bridge without any interface attached.

Inb4 sorry if it's wrong section but I honestly couldn't choose between Networking, Laptop and Administration...

#2 2017-03-26 01:00:14

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Advanced networking for VMs with NetworkManager (multiple bridges)

You can statically create the bridges you need on every boot with systemd, and network manager can be told to leave them alone, leaving network manager to deal only with wireless connections.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer