You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-16 02:10:31

crz

Local network setup, wifi clients can't reach arch machine.

In the office I've started running an arch machine for serving web pages. Most of the time it works fine, there are no issues connecting over ethernet with a win machine nor over wifi with an android device.

the issue is when you try to connect using wifi with a windows machine, it will stop and start working on the same computer if you swap wifi/ethernet connections on it.
the computers can only ping the arch machine and nothing else.

here is a diagram of what the network looks like.
http://i.imgur.com/y0D1ixz.png

here is the netctl the arch machine runs:

Description='A basic static ethernet connection'
Interface=enp3s0
Connection=ethernet
IP=static
Address=('192.168.1.200/24')
#Routes=('192.168.0.0/24 via 192.168.1.2')
Gateway='192.168.1.254'
DNS=('8.8.8.8')

I'm not using iptables either.

I'm at a complete loss as to what is different between these, since android wifi devices works but not windows wifi.
I'm sure I'm making some kind of mistake here. any ideas?

--  read the Code of Conduct and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cod … s_and_code [jwr] --

Last edited by jasonwryan (2017-06-17 02:38:01)

#2 2017-06-16 15:14:48

Lone_Wolf

Re: Local network setup, wifi clients can't reach arch machine.

Your diagram shows a hub connecting your arch box a, windows ethernet machines and the router .

Is this a Ethernet Hub or a Ethernet Switch ?
If it's a hub, replace with  a switch.

Are you attempting to connect using ip-address or hostname ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2017-06-16 18:14:25

crz

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Is this a Ethernet Hub or a Ethernet Switch ?
If it's a hub, replace with  a switch.

I have a bad habit of using hub and switch synonymously, it is a switch.

I always try with hostname and ip-address. since both start working if you plug it into the ethernet, I figure they should also both work on wifi.

#4 2017-06-17 01:48:43

QuimaxW
Website

It's only a hunch, but I would guess something with the routing in the router that the wifi devices are connected to. Based on the diagram, it look like android and windows wifi devices are connecting to different SSID/networks? Perhaps routing through a different VLAN?

If you can, perhaps try plugging the arch box into the router to see if everything works with it on the router instead of on the switch?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

#5 2017-06-17 11:38:31

Lone_Wolf

Good idea, if that doesn't work try comparing the wired/wireless routing tables for the windows clients.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2017-06-17 17:54:53

crz

QuimaxW wrote:

It's only a hunch, but I would guess something with the routing in the router that the wifi devices are connected to. Based on the diagram, it look like android and windows wifi devices are connecting to different SSID/networks? Perhaps routing through a different VLAN?

They are both connected to the same SSID. I'm sorry if my diagram just made things more confusing.

QuimaxW wrote:

If you can, perhaps try plugging the arch box into the router to see if everything works with it on the router instead of on the switch?

I have tried this aswell, it made no difference sadly.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Good idea, if that doesn't work try comparing the wired/wireless routing tables for the windows clients.

This sounds quite plausible, I'm not sure what this would mean if they are different. could be an old/outdated router that's messing with me?

#7 2017-06-17 21:41:56

crz

I'm running an nginx server that reverse proxies a ruby on rails application. I've noticed that the connections goes well all the way until the ruby app, the app recives the request, but the browser does not recieve the reply.
I still can't think of any reasons why this would be.

I also hooked up a wifi extender device and connected to that instead. this makes it work as normal, leading me to think there is something wrong with the router.
I guess the issue now is split somewhere inbetween general networking and ruby on rails. should I try and reach out to the rails community instead?

#8 2017-06-17 21:57:03

Maniaxx

Use Wireshark to record/analyze the traffic.

sys2064

Board footer