You are not logged in.

#2226 2020-11-12 19:39:12

RedBox
Member
Registered: 2020-11-12
Posts: 1

Re: Laptops which run Arch

                   -`                    zeroday@archx 
                  .o+`                   ------------- 
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux x86_64 
                `+oooo:                  Host: X540LJ 1.0 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.9.6-arch1-1 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 15 mins 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 1615 (pacman) 
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: zsh 5.8 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1366x768 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: Xfce 4.14 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM: Xfwm4 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         WM Theme: Sweet-Dark 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Theme: Sweet-Dark [GTK2/3] 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Icons: Tela-dark [GTK2], WhiteSur-dark 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal: xfce4-terminal 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     Terminal Font: Source Code Pro 12 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    CPU: Intel i3-4005U (4) @ 1.600GHz 
 `++:.                           `-/+/   GPU: Intel Haswell-ULT 
 .`                                 `/   GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 920M 
                                         Memory: 1555MiB / 7393MiB 

Everything worked out of the box except the integrated webcam,still trying to figure this one out !

Offline

#2227 2020-11-12 19:43:37

Slithery
Administrator
From: Norfolk, UK
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 5,338

Re: Laptops which run Arch

RedBox wrote:

Everything worked out of the box except the integrated webcam,still trying to figure this one out !

Your post would probably be more useful if you actually told us which laptop this is smile


No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Offline

#2228 2020-11-13 04:27:02

Awebb
Member
Registered: 2010-05-06
Posts: 5,960

Re: Laptops which run Arch

Slithery wrote:
RedBox wrote:

Everything worked out of the box except the integrated webcam,still trying to figure this one out !

Your post would probably be more useful if you actually told us which laptop this is smile

He more or less did: X540LJ 1.0 (from Asus)

Offline

#2229 2020-11-18 22:48:13

herbstschweigen
Member
Registered: 2018-11-04
Posts: 5

Re: Laptops which run Arch

                   -`                    
                  .o+`                 
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux x86_64 
                `+oooo:                  Host: W65_67SJ 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.9.8-arch1-1 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 2 hours, 52 mins 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 1057 (pacman) 
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: bash 5.0.18 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1920x1080 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: Cinnamon 4.6.7 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         WM Theme: Eleganse (Adapta) 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Theme: Mint-Y-Yltra-Light [GTK2/3] 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3] 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal: terminator 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     CPU: Intel i7-4810MQ (8) @ 3.800GHz 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 
 `++:.                           `-/+/   GPU: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor 
 .`                                 `/   Memory: 1767MiB / 15893MiB 

Laptop model is Schenker M704, almost 6 years old now and still running like a charm, thanks to my choices of good CPU, generous memory (for the time) and 256GB SSD as main drive. Schenker is a company that also sells laptops without OS, good if you want to install Linux anyway. Used Ubuntu first, but didn't like the release upgrades so I did some distro hopping for rolling release OSes. Used Antergos since... 2016? Then when they discontinued support I did a clean Arch install, as the disk needed cleaning anyway. ;-)

Offline

#2230 2020-12-07 05:24:04

sgibber2018
Member
Registered: 2019-05-05
Posts: 7

Re: Laptops which run Arch

                   -`                    arch-gibby@lappy-486 
                  .o+`                   -------------------- 
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux x86_64 
                `+oooo:                  Host: Latitude E6410 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.9.11-arch2-1 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 1 day, 11 hours, 1 min 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 491 (pacman) 
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: bash 5.0.18 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1280x800 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           WM: xmonad 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3] 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3] 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Terminal: xterm 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       CPU: Intel i5 M 560 (4) @ 2.667GHz [47.0°on] 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       GPU: Intel Core Processor 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     Memory: 785MiB / 7883MiB (9%) 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    CPU Usage: 9% 
 `++:.                           `-/+/   Disk (/): 11G / 228G (6%) 
 .`                                 `/   Battery0: 100% [Full] 
                                         Font: Cantarell 11 [GTK2/3] 
                                         Users: arch-gibby 

Recently decided to give Arch a go again (and I'm glad I did!) on my Dell Latitude E6410 and it's working wonderfully. I'm in student housing without meaningful access to my router, and everything had to be done through wifi, so there were some hiccups surrounding the Broadcom drivers. Using the latest (November 2020) archiso resulted in consistent kernel panics during the pacstrap phase of installation. I solved this problem by slapping in an Ubuntu live USB, downloading an older (March 2020) archiso, and using that to install. For whatever reason, versions of the archiso that are old enough to have wifi-menu on them will work out of the box with this wireless card, but the newer ones will not.

That was the only hiccup, though. Other than that Arch works flawlessly on this model of laptop and I recommend it highly for anyone looking for an older, ergonomic workhorse. It's good for coding, browsing, and tinkering; especially if you upgrade it to 8GB RAM. I've even run VMs on it with pretty solid results as long as I keep it simple.

Happy arching and everybody take care.

Last edited by sgibber2018 (2020-12-07 05:25:39)

Offline

#2231 2020-12-07 06:09:48

tydynrain
Member
From: Lower Puna, Big Island Hawai'i
Registered: 2017-10-26
Posts: 111
Website

Re: Laptops which run Arch

sgibber2018 wrote:
                   -`                    arch-gibby@lappy-486 
                  .o+`                   -------------------- 
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux x86_64 
                `+oooo:                  Host: Latitude E6410 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.9.11-arch2-1 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 1 day, 11 hours, 1 min 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 491 (pacman) 
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: bash 5.0.18 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1280x800 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           WM: xmonad 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3] 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3] 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Terminal: xterm 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       CPU: Intel i5 M 560 (4) @ 2.667GHz [47.0°on] 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       GPU: Intel Core Processor 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     Memory: 785MiB / 7883MiB (9%) 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    CPU Usage: 9% 
 `++:.                           `-/+/   Disk (/): 11G / 228G (6%) 
 .`                                 `/   Battery0: 100% [Full] 
                                         Font: Cantarell 11 [GTK2/3] 
                                         Users: arch-gibby 

Recently decided to give Arch a go again (and I'm glad I did!) on my Dell Latitude E6410 and it's working wonderfully. I'm in student housing without meaningful access to my router, and everything had to be done through wifi, so there were some hiccups surrounding the Broadcom drivers. Using the latest (November 2020) archiso resulted in consistent kernel panics during the pacstrap phase of installation. I solved this problem by slapping in an Ubuntu live USB, downloading an older (March 2020) archiso, and using that to install. For whatever reason, versions of the archiso that are old enough to have wifi-menu on them will work out of the box with this wireless card, but the newer ones will not.

That was the only hiccup, though. Other than that Arch works flawlessly on this model of laptop and I recommend it highly for anyone looking for an older, ergonomic workhorse. It's good for coding, browsing, and tinkering; especially if you upgrade it to 8GB RAM. I've even run VMs on it with pretty solid results as long as I keep it simple.

Happy arching and everybody take care.

Dude, this is my exact laptop (except for the wireless adapter, mine is Intel)! This is a 10-year-old system (I got it used in 2013), and it's still chugging along great, though I have replaced a few parts here and there over the years. While I do need a new computer, I love this one. It's been running Arch for 3+ years now.

 
                   -`                    tydynrain@Integral-Evolutionary-Nexus-1 
                  .o+`                   --------------------------------------- 
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux x86_64 
                `+oooo:                  Host: Latitude E6410 0001 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.9.12-2-uksm 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 8 hours, 22 mins 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 2680 (pacman), 1 (puyo) 
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: bash 5.0.18 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1280x800 @ 59.99Hz 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: Plasma 5.20.4 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM: KWin 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         WM Theme: Sweet-Dark-transparent 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Theme: Sweet [Plasma], Vertex-Dark [GTK2/3] 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Icons: candy-icons [Plasma], candy-icons [GTK2/3] 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal: gnome-terminal 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     CPU: Intel i5 M 560 (4) @ 2.667GHz [208.4°F] 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    GPU: Intel Core Processor 
 `++:.                           `-/+/   Memory: 5694MiB / 7879MiB 
 .`                                 `/   GPU Driver: i915 
                                         CPU Usage: 96% 
                                         Battery0: 100% [Full] 
                                         Font: Comic Sans MS Regular 10 [Plasma], Comic Sans MS, 10 [GTK2/3] 
                                         Song: Unknown Artist - Unknown Album - Unknown Song 
                                         Local IP: 192.168.3.3 
                                         Public IP: *.*.*.*
                                         Users: tydynrain 
                                         Locale: en_US.UTF-8 
 

Last edited by tydynrain (2020-12-07 06:14:43)


Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux Forever!

Offline

#2232 2020-12-07 07:14:41

sgibber2018
Member
Registered: 2019-05-05
Posts: 7

Re: Laptops which run Arch

@tydynrain

It is a super great little machine and I'm glad to see someone else enjoying theirs! I'll be sad when I have to upgrade it, but I think it has years of life left.

Offline

#2233 2020-12-17 03:58:02

ectospasm
Member
Registered: 2015-08-28
Posts: 96

Re: Laptops which run Arch

                   -`                    trey@ferrum
                  .o+`                   OS: Arch Linux x86_64
                 `ooo/                   Host: 20K70004US ThinkPad 25th Anniversary Edition (T470)
                `+oooo:                  Kernel: 5.9.14-arch1-1
               `+oooooo:                 Uptime: 23 hours, 38 mins
               -+oooooo+:                Packages: 1437 (pacman), 9 (flatpak)
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Shell: zsh 5.8
            `/++++/+++++++:              Resolution: 1920x1080
           `/++++++++++++++:             WM: xmonad
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           Theme: Adwaita [GTK2]
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          Icons: Adwaita [GTK2]
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         CPU: Intel i7-7500U (4) @ 3.500GHz
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        GPU: Intel HD Graphics 620
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Memory: 3.07GiB / 31.26GiB
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:
 `++:.                           `-/+/
 .`                                 `/

I've been running Arch on this ThinkPad since I got it brand new in 2017.  Earlier this summer, I had the mainboard replaced under warranty, and I think they replaced it with a T470 mainboard.  I've been able to expand it to 32G.  So far, everything has worked.  Even the touch screen.  I had an issue with the keyboard where a couple of keys died, and the old sound card flaked out (that's why they replaced the mainboard).  But otherwise this has been rock solid.

Offline

#2234 2020-12-28 19:55:36

giostark
Member
Registered: 2016-12-03
Posts: 27

Re: Laptops which run Arch

Santech G49 >>> Re-brand of Clevo P775.
Bios modded by Prema.
OS: Arch Linux x86_64 last build
7700K@4.8Ghz
32GB RAM
17.3" 4K Adobe color
1070 GTXM
2xM2
2xSata
Not exceptional,  for weight and noise (fan rumor) BUT a good "portable workstation".

Offline

#2235 2021-01-03 06:42:42

crade
Member
Registered: 2021-01-03
Posts: 7

Re: Laptops which run Arch

                   -`                 
                  .o+`                 crade@nekketsu-go
                 `ooo/                 OS: Arch Linux 
                `+oooo:                Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.10.3-arch1-1
               `+oooooo:               Uptime: 3h 44m
               -+oooooo+:              Packages: 762
             `/:-:++oooo+:             Shell: bash 5.1.4
            `/++++/+++++++:            Resolution: 1800x1200
           `/++++++++++++++:           DE: GNOME 3.38.2
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`         WM: Mutter
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`        WM Theme: 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`       GTK Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.      Icon Theme: Adwaita
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.     Font: Cantarell 11
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-     Disk: 18G / 121G (16%)
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-   CPU: Intel Pentium 4415Y @ 2x 1.6GHz [34.0°C]
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:  GPU: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 615 (rev 02)
Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Integrated Sensor Hub (rev 21)
 `++:.                           `-/+/ RAM: 2255MiB / 7834MiB
 .`                                 `/

Surface Go.
No arch related issues..  touchscreen works on defaults much better than i thought in gnome although the onscreen keyboard has no tab for some wierd reason
Wifi needs a minor hack to replace ath10k board.bin file and reload module
camera not working (I don't use it but apparently a common issue)
havent tried the pen yet
battery life is great, loving hibernate and how menus on touch

Offline

#2236 2021-01-03 07:43:48

Xwang
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 323

Re: Laptops which run Arch

crade wrote:
                   -`                 
                  .o+`                 crade@nekketsu-go
                 `ooo/                 OS: Arch Linux 
                `+oooo:                Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.10.3-arch1-1
               `+oooooo:               Uptime: 3h 44m
               -+oooooo+:              Packages: 762
             `/:-:++oooo+:             Shell: bash 5.1.4
            `/++++/+++++++:            Resolution: 1800x1200
           `/++++++++++++++:           DE: GNOME 3.38.2
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`         WM: Mutter
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`        WM Theme: 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`       GTK Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.      Icon Theme: Adwaita
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.     Font: Cantarell 11
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-     Disk: 18G / 121G (16%)
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-   CPU: Intel Pentium 4415Y @ 2x 1.6GHz [34.0°C]
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:  GPU: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 615 (rev 02)
Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Integrated Sensor Hub (rev 21)
 `++:.                           `-/+/ RAM: 2255MiB / 7834MiB
 .`                                 `/

Surface Go.
No arch related issues..  touchscreen works on defaults much better than i thought in gnome although the onscreen keyboard has no tab for some wierd reason
Wifi needs a minor hack to replace ath10k board.bin file and reload module
camera not working (I don't use it but apparently a common issue)
havent tried the pen yet
battery life is great, loving hibernate and how menus on touch

Have you got a pen to try?
Can you test KDE too, please?


I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

Offline

#2237 2021-01-03 17:03:54

crade
Member
Registered: 2021-01-03
Posts: 7

Re: Laptops which run Arch

Yes,  I have the pen.  I tested it just by installing xournalpp and trying.  works great, and eraser as well.
I also have the keyboard typecover, which works flawlessly in console and is how I did my arch install.
I can test kde, but I need to do more research first to figure out how to test packages and remove safely to previous state

Offline

#2238 2021-01-03 17:21:31

Xwang
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 323

Re: Laptops which run Arch

crade wrote:

Yes,  I have the pen.  I tested it just by installing xournalpp and trying.  works great, and eraser as well.
I also have the keyboard typecover, which works flawlessly in console and is how I did my arch install.
I can test kde, but I need to do more research first to figure out how to test packages and remove safely to previous state

Ok, thank you. I'll wait for your KDE review.
Just another question.
Does the pen have the palm rejection (when you are using it can you rest your palm on the screen without it being recognized as a "touch")?


I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

Offline

#2239 2021-01-03 17:38:07

crade
Member
Registered: 2021-01-03
Posts: 7

Re: Laptops which run Arch

the touchscreen does not register my palm as a touch regardless of whether i'm using the pen or not

Offline

#2240 2021-01-03 17:42:06

Xwang
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 323

Re: Laptops which run Arch

crade wrote:

the touchscreen does not register my palm as a touch regardless of whether i'm using the pen or not

ok, thank you


I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

Offline

#2241 2021-01-03 19:10:01

crade
Member
Registered: 2021-01-03
Posts: 7

Re: Laptops which run Arch

So I installed plasma-meta and launched with sddm
Impressions:
-Everything seems to work as intended
-wiki said wayland was not ready so I also installed xorg and used that
-it's very apparent that the default settings are way less touchscreen / surface-go friendly than gnome was.  I'm sure it can all be configured.  I'm not very familiar with plasma
-No onscreen keyboard by default, menu is in a difficult location for touch and is small and hard to use, fonts are tiny and hard to read. No plank / dock by default.

Offline

#2242 2021-01-03 19:39:00

Xwang
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 323

Re: Laptops which run Arch

crade wrote:

So I installed plasma-meta and launched with sddm
Impressions:
-Everything seems to work as intended
-wiki said wayland was not ready so I also installed xorg and used that
-it's very apparent that the default settings are way less touchscreen / surface-go friendly than gnome was.  I'm sure it can all be configured.  I'm not very familiar with plasma
-No onscreen keyboard by default, menu is in a difficult location for touch and is small and hard to use, fonts are tiny and hard to read. No plank / dock by default.

Thank you.
The pen can be used to "click" menu, icons and so on?


I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

Offline

#2243 2021-01-03 20:39:38

crade
Member
Registered: 2021-01-03
Posts: 7

Re: Laptops which run Arch

Yes the pen works as a mouse, hovering near the screen works as drag and pressing works as click in kde and gnome.  You can click and drag just fine as well.  However everything (point, eraser, button) all  do a left click by default.  You get 2 mouse pointers when you have the trackpad from the keyboard installed as well and they both seem to work seamlessly together

Offline

#2244 2021-01-27 14:37:27

manaog
Member
From: germany/nrw
Registered: 2021-01-27
Posts: 4

Re: Laptops which run Arch

                   -`                 
                  .o+`                 manaog@bspwmusb
                 `ooo/                 OS: Arch Linux 
                `+oooo:                Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.10.9-arch1-1
               `+oooooo:               Uptime: 50m
               -+oooooo+:              Packages: 460
             `/:-:++oooo+:             Shell: bash 5.1.4
            `/++++/+++++++:            Resolution: 1920x1080
           `/++++++++++++++:           WM: bspwm
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`         GTK Theme: Adwaita [GTK3]
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`        Disk: 6.2G / 64G (11%)
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`       CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800U with Radeon Graphics @ 16x 1.8GHz
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.      GPU: AMD/ATI
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.     RAM: 1005MiB / 15433MiB
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-    
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-  
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso: 
 `++:.                           `-/+/
 .`                                 `/

for me it running very smoothly with few tweaks

Offline

#2245 2021-01-28 19:31:51

loganwoodxyz
Member
From: North Liberty, IA, USA
Registered: 2021-01-25
Posts: 2
Website

Re: Laptops which run Arch

I was having issues with my 4K laptop screen for the past two years. 4K is too intensive on my graphics processor so I needed X to globally render in 1080p instead of 4K.

Granted, I'm a newbie, but it still should have been obvious what I needed to do. I wrote my solution on my website.


I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Offline

#2246 2021-01-29 02:28:50

ArleCamille
Member
Registered: 2021-01-28
Posts: 10

Re: Laptops which run Arch

Mine is the 2021 revision of ASUS TUF Gaming A15, of which the model name goes by FA506QR-AZ001. It has a weird combination of Ryzen 5800E+RTX 3070.

SInce the hardware was out just a few days before this post, I stumbled into a problem because there was no iGPU firmware in the upstream, and setting up Optimus took some time. Other than that, there is a minor issues where functional keys like backlight off, volume control don't work, but I am fine with it and it can be solved per the instructions for previous ASUS laptops.

Offline

#2247 2021-02-06 16:50:04

SlightingEmboss
Member
Registered: 2021-02-06
Posts: 3

Re: Laptops which run Arch

OS: Arch Linux x86_64 
Host: 82AS Yoga Duet 7 13IML05 
Kernel: 5.10.13-arch1-1 
Uptime: 3 hours, 46 mins 
Packages: 924 (pacman) 
Shell: zsh 5.8 
Resolution: 2160x1350 
WM: sway 
Theme: Lumiere [GTK2/3] 
Icons: Papirus [GTK2/3] 
Terminal: alacritty 
Terminal Font: Inconsolata 
CPU: Intel i5-10210U (8) @ 4.200GHz 
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 
Memory: 2410MiB / 7788MiB 

Lenovo Duet 7i 2-in-1 so that I could replace my old laptop and dying tablet with one device. Only sound does not work out of the box. I'm also unable to get the key events emitted by the bluetooth keyboard recognised, but I've barely looked into that, and the keyboard works when attached via USB. Sound is the main pain right now.

Aside from those issues, the touch experience on Linux has been surprisingly good. Squeekboard works well as an onscreen keyboard (using the Terminal layout), and it's easy to add touch 'buttons' to the status bar to bring up menus or close windows in what is typically a keyboard-driven window manager.

Offline

#2248 2021-02-06 17:51:50

Ferdinand
Member
From: Norway
Registered: 2020-01-02
Posts: 237

Re: Laptops which run Arch

                   -`                    System info: 
                  .o+`                    
                 `ooo/                   Host.......: HP EliteBook 840 G3 
                `+oooo:                  CPU........: Intel i7-6500U (4) @ 3.100GHz 
               `+oooooo:                 GPU........: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] 
               -+oooooo+:                Memory.....: 3376MiB / 7361MiB 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               OS.........: Arch Linux x86_64 
            `/++++/+++++++:              Kernel.....: 5.10.13-arch1-1 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution.: 1920x1080, 1920x1200 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE.........: Xfce 4.16 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM.........: Xfwm4 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         WM Theme...: Curve 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Theme......: Adwaita [GTK2/3] 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Icons......: Faenza [GTK2/3] 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal...: xfce4-terminal 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     Shell......: bash 5.1.4 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:
 `++:.                           `-/+/
 .`                                 `/

Everything on this one just worked smile

Offline

#2249 2021-02-06 18:34:51

Xwang
Member
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 323

Re: Laptops which run Arch

SlightingEmboss wrote:
OS: Arch Linux x86_64 
Host: 82AS Yoga Duet 7 13IML05 
Kernel: 5.10.13-arch1-1 
Uptime: 3 hours, 46 mins 
Packages: 924 (pacman) 
Shell: zsh 5.8 
Resolution: 2160x1350 
WM: sway 
Theme: Lumiere [GTK2/3] 
Icons: Papirus [GTK2/3] 
Terminal: alacritty 
Terminal Font: Inconsolata 
CPU: Intel i5-10210U (8) @ 4.200GHz 
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 
Memory: 2410MiB / 7788MiB 

Lenovo Duet 7i 2-in-1 so that I could replace my old laptop and dying tablet with one device. Only sound does not work out of the box. I'm also unable to get the key events emitted by the bluetooth keyboard recognised, but I've barely looked into that, and the keyboard works when attached via USB. Sound is the main pain right now.

Aside from those issues, the touch experience on Linux has been surprisingly good. Squeekboard works well as an onscreen keyboard (using the Terminal layout), and it's easy to add touch 'buttons' to the status bar to bring up menus or close windows in what is typically a keyboard-driven window manager.

Does screen rotation work too? And what about the stylus? Do you have any? Does it work in linux?


I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

Offline

#2250 2021-02-06 22:35:41

SlightingEmboss
Member
Registered: 2021-02-06
Posts: 3

Re: Laptops which run Arch

Xwang wrote:

Does screen rotation work too? And what about the stylus? Do you have any? Does it work in linux?

Screen auto-rotation works with rot8. I need to adjust the scale when in portrait mode, however, as it's a little small. Haven't had the time to look into it yet.

The included stylus works out of the box. Right-clicking works with one of the stylus buttons. Highlighting/annotating PDFs works in Xournal++, but the those edits aren't detected as annotations in other apps. Evince highlighting overcomes that since you're highlighting based on the text, but that can be hit and miss depending on the quality of the PDF. My goto used to be mupdf, but understandably that's useless if you don't have the keyboard attached.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB