You are not logged in.
Hey all,
New Arch Linux desktop here. Been using Linux forever, but decided to try Arch out, and so far I'm impressed ![]()
One problem I can't seem to get solved, even with Google, is that my secondary monitor doesn't seem to implement any font smoothing. I can't seem to find any information on where I can set this in the GUI nor in a config file hidden away somewhere. Anyone have any thoughts?
I'm using X11 as DM and XFCE4 as WM, and nVidia GTX 670 w/proprietary driver 381.22 from the repos.
Thanks.
Last edited by Underphil (2017-07-18 19:39:31)
Offline
Hi,
Typically font smoothing is defined for fonts by fontconfig and then applied when being rendered (with emphasis on typically...). In /etc/fonts/conf.d the current config lives and in /etc/fonts/conf.avail available config lives and using symlinks configuration files are linked from /etc/fonts/conf.avail to /etc/fonts/conf.d
Long story short: could you try to create a symlink from /etc/fonts/conf.avail/11-lcdfilter-default.conf to /etc/fonts/conf.d/11-lcdfilter-default.conf or is that already in place? I have a similar setup and it improves rendering on external screens a lot:
# cd /etc/fonts/conf.d
# ln --symbolic ../conf.avail/11-lcdfilter-default.conf Last edited by LaurentvdB (2017-07-18 11:35:24)
Offline
This smells like an xy problem - "monitors" don't do antialiasing, neither do outputs. The only distinction could be reached by a zaphod setup, but even then the antialiasing usually happens client side (in software) for most toolkits.
I suspect a general "smoothing" because one of the outputs is scaled or some such.
=> please provide the output of "xrandr -q" (in code tags) and screenshots of the issue (use an image upload service and only post thumbnails or links)
Online
Everyone, apologies for wasting your time-- It turned out my second screen had defaulted to factory settings in between wiping Ubuntu and installing Arch. The 'sharpness' was set to 100 on the second screen.
I was about to reply saying 'it was fine when using Ubuntu', but turns out there were other factors at play.
Thanks for the replies ![]()
Offline
No problem, but please mark the thread as [SOLVED] by editing the subject of your original post (or report it to the moderators for deletion)
Online