You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-17 21:13:41

Underphil

[SOLVED] Font smoothing only applying to one monitor

Hey all,

New Arch Linux desktop here. Been using Linux forever, but decided to try Arch out, and so far I'm impressed smile

One problem I can't seem to get solved, even with Google, is that my secondary monitor doesn't seem to implement any font smoothing. I can't seem to find any information on where I can set this in the GUI nor in a config file hidden away somewhere. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm using X11 as DM and XFCE4 as WM, and nVidia GTX 670 w/proprietary driver 381.22 from the repos.

Thanks.

Last edited by Underphil (2017-07-18 19:39:31)

#2 2017-07-18 08:28:35

LaurentvdB

Re: [SOLVED] Font smoothing only applying to one monitor

Hi,

Typically font smoothing is defined for fonts by fontconfig and then applied when being rendered (with emphasis on typically...). In /etc/fonts/conf.d the current config lives and in /etc/fonts/conf.avail available config lives and using symlinks configuration files are linked from /etc/fonts/conf.avail to /etc/fonts/conf.d

Long story short: could you try to create a symlink from /etc/fonts/conf.avail/11-lcdfilter-default.conf to /etc/fonts/conf.d/11-lcdfilter-default.conf or is that already in place? I have a similar setup and it improves rendering on external screens a lot:

# cd /etc/fonts/conf.d
# ln --symbolic ../conf.avail/11-lcdfilter-default.conf 

Last edited by LaurentvdB (2017-07-18 11:35:24)

#3 2017-07-18 12:42:11

seth

This smells like an xy problem - "monitors" don't do antialiasing, neither do outputs. The only distinction could be reached by a zaphod setup, but even then the antialiasing usually happens client side (in software) for most toolkits.
I suspect a general "smoothing" because one of the outputs is scaled or some such.

=> please provide the output of "xrandr -q" (in code tags) and screenshots of the issue (use an image upload service and only post thumbnails or links)

#4 2017-07-18 17:58:03

Underphil

Everyone, apologies for wasting your time-- It turned out my second screen had defaulted to factory settings in between wiping Ubuntu and installing Arch. The 'sharpness' was set to 100 on the second screen.

I was about to reply saying 'it was fine when using Ubuntu', but turns out there were other factors at play.

Thanks for the replies smile

#5 2017-07-18 19:08:17

seth

No problem, but please mark the thread as [SOLVED] by editing the subject of your original post (or report it to the moderators for deletion)

Board footer