You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-21 19:27:52

piomiq
Website

nfs resources stopped mount during start of system

After some last update (I suppose systemd) my nfs resources stopped mount automatically during start of system. I didn't change configuration of systemd and didn't modify my /etc/fstab file. And of course didn't uninstall nfs-utils from system. I have configured 11 resources to mount (all present in the same server). The entries in /etc/fstab look like below:

servername:/path/to/resource      /path/in/local/disk nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,nosuid`

I tried also with option: "vers=4", but without success.

When I try to mount them manually it works well. I just run following command: mount -a -t nfs and I have all resources mounted.
I can't find any error message in logs. There are only messages about registering nfs service.
Seems that ".mount" files are generated properly and are placed in this location: /run/systemd/generator. Every looks similar to below:

# Automatically generated by systemd-fstab-generator

[Unit]
SourcePath=/etc/fstab
Documentation=man:fstab(5) man:systemd-fstab-generator(8)

[Mount]
Where=/path/in/local/disk
What=servername:/path/to/resource
Type=nfs
Options=rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,nosuid

I also tried to use automount  suggested here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NFS, so I used following options: noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=10,timeo=14,x-systemd.idle-timeout=1min 0 0
In result I got not all mounted resources. I mean only 8 mounted from 11. I think this method is
not reliable / doesn't work well. Or something is not well configured.

[UPDATE]
Seems that command from generated ".mount" file is performed. I checked status this unit running following command:
sudo systemctl status path-in-local-disk.mount.mount

And I received following message:

path-in-local-disk.mount - /path/in/local/disk
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/fstab; generated; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2017-08-22 01:00:56 CEST; 2min 41s ago
    Where: /path/in/local/disk
     What: servername:/path/to/resource
     Docs: man:fstab(5)
           man:systemd-fstab-generator(8)
  Process: 509 ExecMount=/usr/bin/mount servername:/path/to/resource /path/in/local/disk -t nfs -o rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,nosuid (code=exited, status=32)

sie 22 01:00:56 SkyLake-i7 systemd[1]: Mounting /path/in/local/disk...
sie 22 01:00:56 SkyLake-i7 systemd[1]: path-in-local-disk.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited status=32
sie 22 01:00:56 SkyLake-i7 systemd[1]: Failed to mount /path/in/local/disk.
sie 22 01:00:56 SkyLake-i7 systemd[1]: home-piotra-Wideo-filmy.mount: Unit entered failed state.

In manual (man mount) I found that status = 32 means: "32 mount failure", so explain nothing.
Interesting is that manually mounting returns success (code zero):

$ mount servername:/path/to/resource /path/in/local/disk -t nfs -o rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,nosuid
$ echo $?

System parameters:

• systemd version: 234.11-8,

• kernel version: 4.12.8-2-ARCH,

• nfs-utils version: 2.1.1-4

System starts from SSD drive.
I connect with network by wire.

Last edited by piomiq (2017-08-22 00:00:00)

#2 2017-08-22 01:01:36

piomiq
Website

Re: nfs resources stopped mount during start of system

I found some workaround or solution.

One of my resource I tried to mount using the systemd automount service, thus I used following options in /etc/fstab:
noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=10,timeo=14,x-systemd.idle-timeout=1min 0 0
all others looks like: servername:/path/to/resourceN /path/in/local/diskN nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,nosuid
unfortunately without success, so I tried to change the options for not mounting (even by automount) resource to "*timeo=14,rw,intr*"
My entry (in /etc/fstab) now looks like:

servername:/path/to/resource1     /path/in/local/disk1 nfs timeo=14,rw,intr

After this change magically all resources started mount. I'm not sure why before all worked with the same options and now I needed to change options for one of them. Additionally I can't remember if I something changed for resource which I wasn't able mount (by automount and from /etc/fstab). Please remember that manually all resources were mounted without any problem.

#3 2017-08-22 01:06:34

chr0mag

Re: nfs resources stopped mount during start of system

Have you seen this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=228685 ?  Some changes caused systems to attempt to mount NFS drives before the network was online which seems as though it could be your issue.  The thread has solutions for netctl, Networkmanager and systemd-networkd, depending on what you're using to manage your connection

Last edited by chr0mag (2017-08-22 01:07:38)

Board footer