You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-16 20:51:34

Leafy Greens

[SOLVED] USB install error mmc0: Unknown controller version

I'm trying to set up a dual boot system with win7 and Arch in BIOS-MBR mode, and I can't figure out this particular error that I get every time I boot from the installation media.

Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok
:: running early hook [udev]
starting version 234
:: running early hook [archiso_pxe_nbd]
:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...
[    4.804189] mmc0: Unknown controller version (3). You may experience problems
[    4.917696] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: Pointer to flat panel table invalid
[    5.218590] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: DDC responded, but no EDID for eDP-1

At this point, the install freezes.

This shows up every time that I use the default boot options. However, following instructions on the wiki, I have been able to get rid of the nouveau errors by adding the following kernel parameters:

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

With the added params, the first mmc0 error still appears, but the boot continues and I reach the CLI.

I'm still working out how to get the install to work the way I want (I've re-installed arch about 4 times as of now, starting on a 5th soon), but every time I have the same mmc0 error. I've looked around, and it looks like other people get this error in relation to SD card readers. While the laptop I'm installing on has an SD card slot, it's empty, so I don't know why it would be the only device to have an error, when there are multiple other empty device slots (optical disc, multiple USB, empty RAM slots).
The only other thing I can think of is that the USB was written incorrectly. I used Rufus 2.17.1198 to write the iso to the drive, since I don't have a linux machine to use another utility, and the dual boot page doesn't actually recommend a specific method of booting the iso. If anyone has a more reliable method that doesn't require starting with linux already installed, PLEASE let me know.

Last edited by Leafy Greens (2017-09-20 17:35:35)

Explicit um est volumen
(The scroll has been completely unrolled)

#2 2017-09-16 20:58:01

c00ter

Re: [SOLVED] USB install error mmc0: Unknown controller version

If using Rufus, you must use DD mode.

Regards

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#3 2017-09-16 21:02:22

Leafy Greens

Thank you for the quick reply, I will try that right away. I'll update once I test it.

Explicit um est volumen

#4 2017-09-16 21:27:45

Leafy Greens

Rufus wouldn't let me use the arch iso in DD mode, so I installed USBWriter and used that, but the mmc error still showed up.

Explicit um est volumen

#5 2017-09-17 02:18:49

circleface

Are you using the latest iso image to install from?  Maybe your mmc0 controller is too new for the kernel you are booting.

#6 2017-09-17 07:14:40

seth

Unless you've an emmc "disk", this is your card reader which will either work (despite the message) or  not or maybe no support all announced features (limited to SDHC or so)
Check lspci to figure which controller this actually is and then google it for known issues.

This message is unrelated to nouveau.

#7 2017-09-20 17:33:25

Leafy Greens

Sorry for the late reply, life got in the way.

circleface wrote:

Are you using the latest iso image to install from?  Maybe your mmc0 controller is too new for the kernel you are booting.

This is the 2017.09.01 iso, which is the latest according to the site. If there's a newer stable build, please let me know where to find it.

seth wrote:

Unless you've an emmc "disk", this is your card reader which will either work (despite the message) or  not or maybe no support all announced features (limited to SDHC or so)
Check lspci to figure which controller this actually is and then google it for known issues.

Thank you, after some poking around, it looks like this particular device (realtek RTS5250 PCIe card reader) is known to have some problems with linux. I found this page about debian/ubuntu, but the only arch-relevant result was this forum post that was ultimately unhelpful.

Either way, this looks like something that should be taken care of after I finish installing. I'll mark this as solved and start a new thread in the relevant forum once I've gotten arch installed.

Explicit um est volumen

Board footer