You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-03 10:48:11

desi_haxor
Member
Registered: 2017-10-03
Posts: 9

[SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

Gnome wayland is working perfectly fine, problem is with gnome on xorg and gnome classic. when i enter password and select gnome on xorg and press enter, a black screen came for 2 seconds and then back to login screen, same with others except gnome is perfectly fine.


Solution that worked in my case - The best thing you can probably do to get some graphical login is to move away xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d and hope for X11 to autoconfigure itself on whatever is there.

Last edited by desi_haxor (2017-10-03 16:06:58)

Offline

#2 2017-10-03 10:58:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 24,679
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

Please post your xorg log.  Can you start manually (via startx)?


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#3 2017-10-03 11:07:51

desi_haxor
Member
Registered: 2017-10-03
Posts: 9

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

Trilby wrote:

Please post your xorg log.  Can you start manually (via startx)?

how to find xorg log ?? yes i can login through gnome wayland but gnome on xorg is not working

Offline

#4 2017-10-03 11:11:59

desi_haxor
Member
Registered: 2017-10-03
Posts: 9

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

https://pastebin.com/JZTFJqQ1


here is my xorg 0 log

Offline

#5 2017-10-03 11:14:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 24,679
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

Thanks for the log - did you look at it, it makes the problem pretty clear, you don't have the xorg video driver(s):
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Installation


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#6 2017-10-03 11:18:31

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 17,334

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#General ...
Edit: shit.

Last edited by seth (2017-10-03 11:18:56)

Online

#7 2017-10-03 11:21:13

desi_haxor
Member
Registered: 2017-10-03
Posts: 9

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

Trilby wrote:

Thanks for the log - did you look at it, it makes the problem pretty clear, you don't have the xorg video driver(s):
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Installation

i just installed intel and nvidia drivers now but still not working

Offline

#8 2017-10-03 11:23:24

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 11,260

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

Rather desi_haxor you ran nvidia-xconfig some time, and I assume you are running on a hybrid laptop. Either way, remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf it is unlikely to contain any correct configuration either way.

Instead of running nvidia-xconfig, decide how you want to use your system:

Use the traditional method of using the intel integrated card and only loading nvidia on demand: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee

Run everything on the nvidia card, gaining maximum performance, but losing all powersaving: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

Last edited by V1del (2017-10-03 11:31:19)

Online

#9 2017-10-03 11:24:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 24,679
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

Are those the proper drivers for your hardware?  Have you done any required configuration following the wiki?

The link provided gives several commands with which you can gather information about your hardware, and many conditional steps based on what hardware you have.  Please share how you followed those steps otherwise we have nothing more than "it doesn't work".


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#10 2017-10-03 11:25:38

desi_haxor
Member
Registered: 2017-10-03
Posts: 9

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

V1del wrote:

Rather desi_haxor you ran nvidia-xconfig some time, and I assume you are running on a hybrid laptop. Either way, remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf it is unlikely to contain any correct configuration either way.

yes i am using hp pavilion 15 with intel as well as nvidia gt740m

Offline

#11 2017-10-03 11:29:31

desi_haxor
Member
Registered: 2017-10-03
Posts: 9

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

Trilby wrote:

Are those the proper drivers for your hardware?  Have you done any required configuration following the wiki?

The link provided gives several commands with which you can gather information about your hardware, and many conditional steps based on what hardware you have.  Please share how you followed those steps otherwise we have nothing more than "it doesn't work".

i used the command sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-dkms as wiki said.

Offline

#12 2017-10-03 11:47:33

desi_haxor
Member
Registered: 2017-10-03
Posts: 9

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

so i tried installing both nvidia as well open source nouveau, tried bumblebee and everything that wiki says but still nothing happens, so there is one error comes when running startx from tty, it says fatal error screen not found.

Offline

#13 2017-10-03 11:50:35

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 17,334

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

desi_haxor wrote:

i used the command sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-dkms as wiki said.

The wiki certainly (hopefully) does not say that. Please provide an updated xorg log.
And stop wildly messing around with the system. That's not gonna work.

Online

#14 2017-10-03 12:03:28

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 11,260

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

V1del wrote:

Instead of running nvidia-xconfig, decide how you want to use your system:

Use the traditional method of using the intel integrated card and only loading nvidia on demand: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee

Run everything on the nvidia card, gaining maximum performance, but losing all powersaving: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

It was an edit appendix so you might've missed it.

Online

#15 2017-10-03 13:23:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 24,679
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

Trilby wrote:

The link provided gives several commands with which you can gather information about your hardware, and many conditional steps based on what hardware you have.  Please share ...

Emphasis added in hope that it might sink in this time so you can help others help you - but I've pretty much given up now as this is just a stream of minimal partial answers to only a small subset of the questions you are asked.

It looks live V1del is happy to help you and likely has the relevant knowledge of hybrid graphics systems.  You'd be wise to not waste his time as if he gives up on you you'll be pretty much S.O.L.


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#16 2017-10-03 14:00:18

desi_haxor
Member
Registered: 2017-10-03
Posts: 9

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

V1del wrote:
V1del wrote:

Instead of running nvidia-xconfig, decide how you want to use your system:

Use the traditional method of using the intel integrated card and only loading nvidia on demand: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee

Run everything on the nvidia card, gaining maximum performance, but losing all powersaving: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

It was an edit appendix so you might've missed it.

i think i messed up bad with video drivers and xorg and gnome, can you tell me a way to switch to kde or xfce and restoring all settings to normal ?

Offline

#17 2017-10-03 14:09:22

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 11,260

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

From the information we have, I already did. If that didn't help you might want to post an updated Xorg.log

Online

#18 2017-10-03 14:16:58

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 17,334

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

Also, if you "messed up bad with video drivers and xorg" you won't be able to use "kde or xfce" to restore "all settings to normal" (whatever that is)
The best thing you can probably do to get some graphical login is to move away xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d and hope for X11 to autoconfigure itself on whatever is there.

Online

#19 2017-10-03 14:33:54

desi_haxor
Member
Registered: 2017-10-03
Posts: 9

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

seth wrote:

The best thing you can probably do to get some graphical login is to move away xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d and hope for X11 to autoconfigure itself on whatever is there.

Dude thanks a lot, IT WORKED.

i had deleted those files as you told, reboot and now using gnome on xorg.

Last edited by desi_haxor (2017-10-03 14:35:44)

Offline

#20 2017-10-03 14:38:17

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 17,334

Re: [SOLVED]Can't open gnome on xorg or gnome classic

*cough* nobody ever said "delete" *cough*, but well ...
Please mark the thread as solved (in case) and before attempting to mess with the setup, review https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1739953

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB