You are not logged in.
I've been looking for a way to change the default style used in some Python apps (e.g. IDLE) in one of those but couldn't find a conf file for that purpose.
My uderstanding from the few examples I came across is that it's usually hardcoded so I'm stuck with the default ugly classic one?
(Is this why no one ever uses Tk?)
Last edited by johnfocker (2019-01-10 13:48:14)
Offline
You can probably set it in Xresources
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=193668
| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' | alias ENGLISH='LANG=C.UTF-8 ' |
Offline
Sidenote: Don't use IDLE; use a proper editor or ide.
As for TK being ugly and "no one" using it:
It can look half decent if whoever writes the code uses TTK, but it is still lacking compared to qt/gtk. A bigger reason for it not being widely used anymore is how dated it is when it comes to functionality and support for modern concepts.
Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2017-11-03 10:54:38)
Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest
Offline
@progandy: Thanks! Just tried and while "xrdb -query" returns "*TkTheme: clam" as expected, it doesn't change IDLE or git-gui appearance, just like they were overriding the setting or something… weird. I'm starting my i3-wm session with LightDM, don't know if that matters.
@Mr.Elendig: Thank you, yes I wasn't planning on using it much actually and I was thinking of using pycharm first then switch to my good old vim with a few plugins once I know what I'm doing / what I need… The thing is, I was interested in Tk since it's built-in python with tkinter and I thought I could use it for a first GUI.
Guess I'm better off learning how to use gtk bindings instead ![]()
Cheers
Last edited by johnfocker (2017-11-04 02:24:32)
Offline