You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-10 03:22:06

xtian

[solved] Does `nvidia-lts` not contain the kernel modules for tearing?

I'm using the linux-lts kernel on Lenovo W541 with NVIDIA/Intel Optimus hardware.
Following the instructions to fix screen tearing I was unable to build the initramfs,

==> ERROR: module not found: `nvidia`
    ==> ERROR: module not found: `nvidia_modeset`
    ==> ERROR: module not found: `nvidia_uvm`
    ==> ERROR: module not found: `nvidia_drm`

I know I'm only supposed to install the nvidia package which matches my kernel, but for kicks I installed `nvidia` package (and surprisingly it didn't ask me to remove `nvidia-lts`) and then the initramfs would generate.

I expected the packages `nvidia-lts` and `nvidia` to be the same and incompatible.
Should the `nvidia-lts` have worked without `nvidia` package installed?

Last edited by xtian (2017-11-18 18:36:24)

#2 2017-11-10 03:37:47

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: [solved] Does `nvidia-lts` not contain the kernel modules for tearing?

No, nvidia-lts does not require the package nvidia. You can see from the links I gave that nvidia-lts provides that same modules.

That log snippet is insufficient to tell us what happened.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2017-11-10 08:03:18

V1del
Forum Moderator

And enabling kms will not help in any way with tearing, so you'd be on the wrong track if that is your goal

#4 2017-11-10 11:34:10

xtian

V1del wrote:

And enabling kms will not help in any way with tearing, so you'd be on the wrong track if that is your goal

From the Optimus page: “Tearing/Broken VSync
This requires xorg-server 1.19 or higher, linux kernel 4.5 or higher, and nvidia 370.23 or higher. Then enable DRM kernel mode setting, which will in turn enable the PRIME synchronization and fix the tearing.”

??

Last edited by xtian (2017-11-10 11:35:05)

#5 2017-11-10 13:40:04

V1del
Forum Moderator

Oh, my bad then. Either way adding them to your initramfs is usually not mandatory, just ensure that the nvidia-drm module enables the modeset parameter. That said, are you sure that snippet is not simply the build of the linux initramfs, as opposed to the linux-lts initramfs?

#6 2017-11-10 18:06:50

xtian

V1del wrote:

...are you sure that snippet is not simply the build of the linux initramfs, as opposed to the linux-lts initramfs?

Oh! It makes both Linux-lts and Linux (the fallback then?) And that would explain why the second time I built the initramfs, i didn’t get the same errors.

I will verify wen I get home and mark solved if this proves true. One final follow up—
Will having both nvidia and nvidia-lts cause buggy problems? What’s the consequence of not following the advise to only install the nvidia package which matches your kernel? Or am I misreading that?

#7 2017-11-10 18:36:32

V1del
Forum Moderator

You are misreading that, the nvidia and the nvidia-lts (nvidia version wise, they are the same version) package exist to match their respective kernels linux and linux-lts which is why you can (and should if you use both kernels) have them installed side by side.

As for, the question regarding it building both

man mkinitcpio wrote:

-P, --allpresets
           Process all presets contained in /etc/mkinitcpio.d. See the -p option
           for more detail about presets.

which is why fsckd pointed out that that error log is insufficient to tell what happened, so you should always include complete command outputs as opposed to snippets

#8 2017-11-11 13:24:49

xtian

V1del wrote:

which is why fsckd pointed out that that error log is insufficient to tell what happened, so you should always include complete command outputs as opposed to snippets

I understand the point. Communications are like this at my job, too. Provide only what is necessary and sufficient. Don't give me your opinion, because if you're posting to the forum, you prolly don't know what you don't know. Don't waste everybody's time.

I'm posting on a technician, because I don't have graphical right now on the project. I haven't used nopaste, so I will look into it's use going forward.

// I have both kernels, so I'm marking this question solved.

Last edited by xtian (2017-11-18 18:36:04)

Board footer