You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-01 21:31:44

momu
Member
Registered: 2017-10-14
Posts: 137

[SOLVED] Unable to screen record

I tried to screen record with simplescreenrecorder and ffmpeg and both of them give same results: the whole video contains only first second that is playing on repeat. Let me explain, if I take video that is 10 seconds long, every second of those 10 seconds is identical to the starting second of the recording. And this is really strange: I took video with simplescreenrecorder and then deleted it, but then I took completely different recording of my screen with ffmpeg and it is completely identical to the previous recording I took with simplescreenrecorder (no matter where I save it or how I name it). I deleted the file and took another multiple screen recordings with ffmpeg and every single one of them is completely same as the one I took with simplescreenrecorder (even if extension is different).

I suspect this may be related to this problem I have/had: Cannot take proper screenshot .

It also may be helpful to know that before these "problematic" recordings I took two recordings with simplescreenrecorder which were proper recordings. The problems started when I spawned new window (in the middle of the recording). Based on the screenshot problem above, changing workspace is probably also problematic.

I run i3wm and this is the ffmpeg command I used to record screen:

ffmpeg -f x11grab -s 1366x768 -i :0 out.mp4

.

Last edited by momu (2017-12-02 09:24:42)

Offline

#2 2017-12-02 08:10:32

momu
Member
Registered: 2017-10-14
Posts: 137

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to screen record

It also may be helpful to know that before these "problematic" recordings I took two recordings with simplescreenrecorder which were proper recordings. The problems started when I spawned new window (in the middle of the recording). Based on the screenshot problem above, changing workspace is probably also problematic.

I was wrong here, spawning windows/changing workspace doesn't affect recording in any way.

Cursor is shown normally in video, altough everything else is trapped in loop.

Last edited by momu (2017-12-02 08:11:05)

Offline

#3 2017-12-02 08:17:56

momu
Member
Registered: 2017-10-14
Posts: 137

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to screen record

Hmm... after killing compton screencasting works properly.

So does scrot.

Last edited by momu (2017-12-02 08:19:36)

Offline

#4 2017-12-02 09:02:30

momu
Member
Registered: 2017-10-14
Posts: 137

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to screen record

I just tried to screencast on XFCE4 + COMPTON with ffmpeg and everything works as it should.

Offline

#5 2017-12-02 09:24:08

momu
Member
Registered: 2017-10-14
Posts: 137

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to screen record

Running compton this way:

compton -b -f --backend xrender --vsync none

makes both ffmpeg and scrot work properly.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB