You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-11 18:19:23

phonky
Member
Registered: 2008-12-19
Posts: 78

Thunderbird starts with annoying console [SOLVED]

Hey

I use the `i3wm` stacking manager with `dmenu`.

When executing `thunderbird`, an annoying console starts up alongside the actual thunderbird window:

<code>
[calBackendLoader] Using Thunderbird's builtin libical backend
</code>

So this appears in a separate terminal window, while the thunderbird GUI starts in another.
As my windows are stacked, this is pretty ugly and annoying.

Thanks

Last edited by phonky (2017-12-11 19:10:37)

Offline

#2 2017-12-11 18:28:12

progandy
Member
Registered: 2012-05-17
Posts: 5,321

Re: Thunderbird starts with annoying console [SOLVED]

How exactly are you starting thunderbird? A terminal, a custom dmenu script, i3-dmenu-desktop or something else?


| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' | alias ENGLISH='LANG=C.UTF-8 ' |

Offline

#3 2017-12-11 18:33:20

phonky
Member
Registered: 2008-12-19
Posts: 78

Re: Thunderbird starts with annoying console [SOLVED]

Hi progandy, thanks for chiming in.

I start it with dmenu from anywhere in the desktop,
so $mod+d and then "navigate" to thunderbird

Offline

#4 2017-12-11 18:38:10

progandy
Member
Registered: 2012-05-17
Posts: 5,321

Re: Thunderbird starts with annoying console [SOLVED]

And what is the command you assigned to $mod+d? I assume that it is the i3 default of dmenu_run. In that case, what is the output of

$ which dmenu_run
$ cat "$(which dmenu_run)"
$ which thunderbird
$ cat "$(which thunderbird)"

Edit: How does this console look? Is it your terminal or is it a thunderbird error console with the selection for e.g. js, css, security on top?
Edit: What happens if you run thunderbird from a terminal window?

Last edited by progandy (2017-12-11 18:43:50)


| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' | alias ENGLISH='LANG=C.UTF-8 ' |

Offline

#5 2017-12-11 19:09:08

phonky
Member
Registered: 2008-12-19
Posts: 78

Re: Thunderbird starts with annoying console [SOLVED]

Hey @progandy

thanks so much for your support!
You helped me identify the issue:

$mod+d

actually was mapped to

dmenu_recency

Looking up some docs, I found out that

dmenu_recency

has some config files:

$XDG_HOME/.config/dmenu-recent

where there are two files:

background
terminal

thunderbird was in terminal; I moved it to

background

and the nuisance disappeared!
I guess I must have started thunderbird in terminal mode some time and

dmenu_recency

remembered that decision.

Thanks for helping!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB