You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-23 14:04:30

Fuson51

Choice for distributed network configuration for my case

Hello,

I am looking for a guideline (policy) for my network configuration. I need your help because it is not easy for me to do tests (they don't really have a screen/keyboard I do everything via the network!!!). And I'm not really comfortable with this part.

I have several ArchLinux and I would like a configuration to be the same for all, regardless of their hardware. Sometimes they have an internal wifi, sometimes a dongle, sometimes no wifi at all (only eth).

The idea is to use the Ethernet connection if available and if not, to use the one of the wireless profiles. But only one profile at a time.

What I have done is to automatically generate static profiles:

• /etc/netctl/LAN

• /etc/netctl/WirelessA

• /etc/netctl/WirelessB

• /etc/netctl/...

but despite the very good documentation I can't understand what service I need to enable and disable.
I disabled systemd-networkd, activated netctl-ifplug@LAN, netctl-auto@DTC but it doesn't seem to work.
Am I on the right track? Is Netctl the good choice in my case or systemd-networkd is better?

Here's what my simple profiles look like (personalized by scripts to be static).

/etc/netctl/LAN
Interface=eth0
Connection=ethernet
IP=static
Address='192.168.1.56/24'
Gateway='192.168.1.1'
DNS=('192.168.1.1')
/etc/netctl/WirelessA
Interface=wlan0
Connection=wireless
Security=wpa
IP=static
Address='192.168.1.56/24'
Gateway='192.168.1.1'
DNS=('192.168.1.1')
ESSID='XXX'
Key='YYYY'
Priority=2

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited by Fuson51 (2018-02-23 14:10:34)

#2 2018-02-23 14:07:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Choice for distributed network configuration for my case

I have no idea what you mean by a guideline or policy, but it doesn't seem relevant.  You are only asking about how to enable networking services.  Please edit your title to reflect your actual question.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-02-23 14:24:04

Fuson51

Trilby wrote:

You are only asking about how to enable networking services.

Not really... enabling networking case by case is not a problem. Now computers with eth0 only are on systemd-netword and those with wifi are with netctl. But I can't find a generic solution for everyone (a solution that lets switch from one to the other).
This is for this last point I need help.

Is my choice to use old netctl ipflug@eth0 and auto@ for wifi with default systemd-networkd desactived is correct (in this case I well continue to work on this point). It is a correct pattern with netctl (wich is the good pattern)? Is netctl a wrong choice for do this ?

Thanks !

#4 2018-02-23 19:15:10

Tarqi
Website

What about using bonding?

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is enlightenment. ~Lao Tse

#5 2018-02-23 19:39:29

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Fuson51 wrote:

Now computers with eth0 only are on systemd-netword and those with wifi are with netctl. But I can't find a generic solution for everyone (a solution that lets switch from one to the other).

I think either of those tools can do either/both.  Just pick one.  However I'd say each of them are drastically over-complicated.

Just configure a wpa_supplicant.conf and enable wpa_supplicant.service and dhcpcd.service and be done with it.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer