You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-25 23:41:49

bolero

network fails after upgrade

hey guys, i just installed Arch Linux, and the first thing i did waas update the whole system via pacman -Syu.  (i installed arch using the BASE iso only, so only the base system was installed)  it downloaded all the updates for my system and installed them.  I then installed Xorg, then gnome, then the Nvidia modules and put it in my rc.conf modules section.

upon rebooting, it says "network   [FAILED]" resulting in no internet (on the bright side my Nvidia xorg worked out)

Trying a ifconfig eth0 down then back up results in it doing nothing. When looking at the output of ifconfig, eth0 does not show an ipaddress, however its jhardware address, so i fugre it is no accepting an IP address. I tried dhcpcd eth0 and again, it stalls for a bit then nothing.  I checked my Dmesg and nothing relevant appears after running those commands except it sayins Eth0 link changed 100Mbps or somthing along those lines.

Keep in mind, the internet worked fine, obviously, since i updated the whole system upon a fresh install.  I am stumped on what has happened!

Any ideas?

-Bolero

#2 2006-07-26 01:19:06

johnisevil
Website

Re: network fails after upgrade

bolero wrote:

hey guys, i just installed Arch Linux, and the first thing i did waas update the whole system via pacman -Syu.  (i installed arch using the BASE iso only, so only the base system was installed)  it downloaded all the updates for my system and installed them.  I then installed Xorg, then gnome, then the Nvidia modules and put it in my rc.conf modules section.

upon rebooting, it says "network   [FAILED]" resulting in no internet (on the bright side my Nvidia xorg worked out)

Trying a ifconfig eth0 down then back up results in it doing nothing. When looking at the output of ifconfig, eth0 does not show an ipaddress, however its jhardware address, so i fugre it is no accepting an IP address. I tried dhcpcd eth0 and again, it stalls for a bit then nothing.  I checked my Dmesg and nothing relevant appears after running those commands except it sayins Eth0 link changed 100Mbps or somthing along those lines.

Keep in mind, the internet worked fine, obviously, since i updated the whole system upon a fresh install.  I am stumped on what has happened!

Any ideas?

-Bolero

If I had to take a guess, your /etc/rc.conf was overwritten and perhaps the necessary kernel module for your nic isn't being loaded.

#3 2006-07-26 01:47:54

bolero

well, its the sundance driver. i checked lsmod and it is loaded.  I didnt have to add any modules in the modules spot in the rc.conf, because it must of detected it automatically and loaded it... and it is loaded.

-Bolero

#4 2006-07-26 17:48:56

bolero

okay im starting to get annoyed at this.

i reninstalled the base system to track my events.  I booted into the freshly installed Arch, Network starts, great! Now instead of updating the entire system first this time, i procede to installing xorg then gnome then nvidia modules.. it all downloads and works.  I reboot, Network FAILED!

Why does the network fail, when i install somthing like Xorg and gnome.. nvidia drivers.  I cant use arch if it does this? Installing software shouldnt break my network, im not doing anything wrong... it just doesnt work.  I dunno what to think about this....

-Bolero

Board footer