You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-15 22:05:17

usr/bin/foobar
Member
Registered: 2018-01-30
Posts: 11

How to stop X?

I'm not running a DM on my new build, so I just use startx to launch Xorg (along with XFCE via .xinitrc) Here's my question:

Is there a good way to shut down X and XFCE without powering off the box? For those of you that run multiple DEs without a DM, how do you start/stop them?

Offline

#2 2018-03-15 22:09:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 30,525
Website

Re: How to stop X?

XFCE has a logout option in the menu.

What I do is just `kill tmuxwm` or `kill Xorg` or `kill xi`.

Last edited by Trilby (2018-03-15 22:15:10)


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#3 2018-03-15 22:09:16

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: How to stop X?

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#4 2018-03-16 00:40:03

R00KIE
Forum Fellow
From: Between a computer and a chair
Registered: 2008-09-14
Posts: 4,734

Re: How to stop X?

jasonwryan wrote:

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Is Ctrl-Alt-Backspace active by default now? I remember I had to specifically activate it with something like 'Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"' way back when xorg received some config file overall.


R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Offline

#5 2018-03-16 00:46:12

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: How to stop X?

No, it is not default. But it is still the best way to close a WM!


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB