You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-16 11:40:28

secretrice

NetworkManager, tathering, wi-fi, random or selective IP address

Hello,

I use tathering (GSM phone + local service provider) to connect to the web.

The problem is:

Up to version 1.8.5 of NetworkManager, with daemon reboot, (using "systemctl restart NetworkManager.service") I could obtaini a new, random IP address.
From version 1.10.0-1 it is not possible. At each restart ("systemctl restart NetworkManager.service") my IP address is the same, unchangeable.

To the latest version, that is to version 1.10.6-1 (I do not know how it will be with version 1.10.6-2, which from 14/03/2018 is available in the arch archive) I systematically downgraded the package to version 1.8.5 to get this effect. From version 1.10.6-1, however, this is no longer possible. After trying to downgrade the NetworkManager, the daemon crushes, signaling errors, and it is unable to connect to the network. I am forced to use version 1.10.6-1.

BTW: I maintain default settings of NetworkManager.conf - I did not change anything here, ever, apart from adding lines to randomly change the MAC address of the network card.
In addition: MAC address spoofing still works, even with version 1.10.6-1.

My questions:
What should be done to make it possible to randomly or selectively set the IP address again? How to get back to previous effect?

#2 2018-03-16 15:30:36

ewaller
Administrator

Re: NetworkManager, tathering, wi-fi, random or selective IP address

Can you provide logs?  In general, the phone carrier's DHCP server is the entity that get to pick the address.
It might be that your system is asking for a particular address and the carrier is either confirming that address may be used, or , if it chooses to do so, assigns a new one.

I know very little about NetworkManager as my use cases don't require such a [er] comprehensive program.  You don't either; you could just run dhcpcd or dhclinet -- either directly or as a service.   I don't know which of those tools are used by NetworkManager by default.   You might figure out which is being used and clear the leases for that client.  For dhcpcd, see here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dh … DHCP_lease

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2018-03-16 18:24:01

secretrice

Re: NetworkManager, tathering, wi-fi, random or selective IP address

Thank you very much @ewaller!

dhclient did the job, perfectly.

Board footer