You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-06 04:11:04

riczan

systemd thinks my wireless network is disabled but it is not.

Hi,

During a nasty security check at an airport, they turned on my laptop (without me noticing it), booted into windows and activated the airplane mode on the laptop. I didn't realize this until later. Then I booted into linux and the wireless wouldn't not start, I eventually noticed the light of the airplane mode was ON. Long story short, the wireless has never turned on ever since automatically even though I have turned off the airplane light.

The problem in short:

When I boot, the wireless won't start.
However I can do sudo wifi-menu, select the wireless network and it starts without problems.

If I do rfkill I see:

ID TYPE      DEVICE      SOFT      HARD
 0 wlan      phy0   unblocked unblocked
 1 bluetooth hci0   unblocked unblocked

so its all good as I expect since the wireless works when I do it manually  (also the airplane mode light is off as expected).

systemctl  status netctl-auto@wlp4s0.service
● netctl-auto@wlp4s0.service - Automatic wireless network connection using netctl profiles
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/netctl-auto@.service; indirect; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-02-20 07:22:33 CET; 1min 26s ago
     Docs: man:netctl.special(7)
  Process: 912 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/netctl-auto clean wlp4s0 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 792 ExecStart=/usr/bin/netctl-auto start wlp4s0 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

I see the "vendor preset: disabled". Perhaps this is the problem but I have been unable to change that.

also in

systemctl list-unit-files |grep net
netctl-auto@.service                       indirect       
netctl-ifplugd@.service                    disabled       
netctl-sleep.service                       disabled       
netctl-wait-online.service                 disabled       
netctl.service                             disabled       
netctl@.service                            static         
netctl@ethernet\x2ddhcp.service            enabled        
systemd-networkd-wait-online.service       disabled       
systemd-networkd.service                   disabled       
telnet@.service                            static         
systemd-networkd.socket                    disabled       
telnet.socket                              disabled       
network-online.target                      static         
network-pre.target                         static         
network.target                             static 

I see an "indirect" which I think should be "enable" but I have not been able to change that.

Thank you for your help.

#2 2018-04-06 05:33:04

ewaller
Administrator

Re: systemd thinks my wireless network is disabled but it is not.

Don't know the direct answer, but the manual seems to indicate that indirect means:

The unit file itself is not enabled, but it has a non-empty Also= setting in the "[Install]" unit file section, listing other unit files that might be enabled, or it has an alias under a different name through a symlink that is not specified in Also=. For template unit file, an instance different than the one specified in DefaultInstance= is enabled.

Check for soft links that redirect to that file.   But, I doubt that is the real problem; it could just be why you are seeing indirect instead of active.

What is the output of find /etc/systemd   ?
Also, the output of ip link and iw list

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer