You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-22 08:38:03

sweetthdevil

Network connection dropping on wired (using Powerline/Homeplug)

Hello all,

Thank you for looking at my topic.

Now I moved into a new home and that forced me to have my computer connected to the router through powerline/homeplug (Solwise PL-1200AV2-PIGGY) I have three.

1x Connected to the router
1x Living room (TV, Xbox, NAS, Android Box)
1x Computer

All equipment in the living room is operating fine and do not drop the connection, the computer, however, does - it's very sporadic - cannot ping the router either. Sometimes it does come back on quickly, sometimes it doesn't and even stopping and restarting systemctl.networkd.socket & systemctl.networkd.service doesn't work. Only restarting the PC does.

I am lost as to what I should be looking for or at?

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

#2 2018-04-22 11:15:43

seth

Re: Network connection dropping on wired (using Powerline/Homeplug)

Powerline is rather fragile reg. non-static resitors, ie. modern electronics.
Ensure to put the adapter into the wall, not a multiplicator etc.
Also the position of the wall socket matters (my favorite, but true, anecdote is the one that failed when switching the ceiling lamp...) so try another one.

#3 2018-04-22 13:15:32

sweetthdevil

Thanks for the advice. All three of them are plugged directly into the wall socket, and unfortunately, I haven't got another wall socket to try next to the computer.

Surely, there should be an indicator of the issue somewhere on the log?

#4 2018-04-22 13:30:01

seth

Sure, dmesg might indicate kernel issues w/ the interface and the journal systemd-networkd's fruitless attempts to re-up the network (or just wildly juggling interface states)
You might want to go for dhcpcd to see whether the issue is specific to systemd-networkd's handling of the connection instability, also inspect "ip addr" for the state of the interface in this condition (notably whether it has a carrier and is up)

Board footer