You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-09 10:51:51

ironman820

[SOLVED?]Ethernet link during boot loader but not after boot

I am experiencing a weird issue with my Dell Latitude E6230. At first I just thought my ethernet was failing, but then I noticed that while I was connected to a router, I would get a link durring the bootloader (Grub) and then it would drop out as soon as the system booted.

I have tried both the standard and LTS kernels with no change, and have tried a couple different cables to rule them out. The link comes up 100M during the bootloader as soon as my EFI hands it over, but then drops mid boot into the actual system.

Some basic info on my system:

#uname -a
Linux ironman 4.14.39-2-lts #1 SMP Sat May 5 19:07:21 CEST 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#lspci | grep Ethernet
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville) (rev 04)

#dmesg | grep eno1
[    4.472774] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eno1: renamed from eth0

#ip link
eno1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether d4:be:d9:73:6b:13 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I have also tried installing e1000e-dkms and igb to try to get it running. I am running NetworkManager to handle my connection, but I have also tried disabling it and running dhcpcd manually and it didn't detect the link either.

Last edited by ironman820 (2018-05-09 18:26:02)

#2 2018-05-09 14:23:25

seth

Re: [SOLVED?]Ethernet link during boot loader but not after boot

What about the mainline kernel?
Also check dmesg for errors when loading the firmware.
Ultimately, try sidestepping UEFI and use it in legacy/bios mode.

ceterum censeo: if you also have a windows installation, ensure windows fastboot is disabled, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/418 … -10-a.html

#3 2018-05-09 18:24:17

ironman820

Re: [SOLVED?]Ethernet link during boot loader but not after boot

Thanks for the fast reply.

seth wrote:

What about the mainline kernel?

I installed LTS just as a troubleshooting step. I have removed it as it did not help.

seth wrote:

Also check dmesg for errors when loading the firmware.

I didn't see any originally, but will filter through again.

seth wrote:

Ultimately, try sidestepping UEFI and use it in legacy/bios mode.

My BIOS states "invalid partition table" when I try to boot legacy (my SSD is formatted with GPT), but while trying to get that to work, I created the bios_boot partition and re-installed grub to support legacy. The machine still initiates boot with UEFI, but the networking card starts and stays running now. So I'm going to say it's either the EFI handoff and running Grub "legacy" fixed that, or I have one random dodgy ethernet port on this laptop (I know, probably the latter).

seth wrote:

ceterum censeo: if you also have a windows installation, ensure windows fastboot is disabled, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/418 … -10-a.html

This system is a single boot Arch machine, but I will keep that in mind because I do help others with their linux installs from time to time.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Board footer