You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-25 13:51:10

rsolva

Domains inaccessible after unexpected shutdown. Cache problem?

I have a weird bug on my X220 where it sometimes decides to shut down instead of go to sleep. The domains that was active in my browser stops working when I reboot my laptop, typically reddit.com, protonmail.com etc. This problem is not browser specific, both Firefox and Chrome is affected.

I have tried clearing history and cache of my browsers, and running

ip -s -s neigh flush all

...without any luck. What more could I do?

#2 2018-06-25 14:41:27

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Domains inaccessible after unexpected shutdown. Cache problem?

Can you ping the domains?  Can you the index from the sites using wget or curl?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2018-06-25 14:54:02

rsolva

ewaller wrote:

Can you ping the domains?  Can you the index from the sites using wget or curl?

I can ping the domains, and I just tried using wget on gmail.com, and it gave me and index.html site. The thing is, these sites do sometimes load, but whenever I try to interact with them, it breaks. For example; sometimes the gmail.com interface loads, but if I click on any of my emails, it gets stuck on "loading. The same thing with protonmail.com and reddit. Frontpage loads, but when I try to log in, it loads forever.

EDIT: It's seems like the problems start when the browser is trying to pull resources from another (sub)domin, f.ex: api.google.com etc. I tried loading docs.google.com and calendar.google.com, and the same problem affects these sites.

Last edited by rsolva (2018-06-25 15:01:20)

#4 2018-06-25 14:59:01

ewaller
Administrator

What are you using as a router?

Edit:  A hunch, what is the output of timedatectl   ?

Last edited by ewaller (2018-06-25 15:00:42)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2018-06-25 15:07:34

rsolva

ewaller wrote:

What are you using as a router?
Edit:  A hunch, what is the output of timedatectl   ?

I am currently using an android phones hotspot, which in turn uses protonvpn. Output from timedatectl:

Local time: ma. 2018-06-25 17:01:41 CEST
                  Universal time: ma. 2018-06-25 15:01:41 UTC
                  RTC time: ma. 2018-06-25 15:01:41
                  Time zone: Europe/Oslo (CEST, +0200)
       System clock synchronized: yes
systemd-timesyncd.service active: yes
                 RTC in local TZ: no

#6 2018-06-25 15:34:38

ewaller
Administrator

My hunch was wrong wink 

Can you turn of the VPN (temporarily) to see if we might be having routing issues with confusion on the phone as to what needs to go through the tunnel?

---

#7 2018-06-25 17:18:44

rsolva

ewaller wrote:

My hunch was wrong wink 
Can you turn of the VPN (temporarily) to see if we might be having routing issues with confusion on the phone as to what needs to go through the tunnel?

Turning of the VPN did the trick! I thought had tried that already, without effect, but now it worked. Strange that the domains that where active during a sudden power-down should be affected by the VPN on the phone. I'll try to reboot the phone, turn the VPN on again and see if that does the trick.

EDIT: Problem persists after reboot of phone. I use Proton VPN (app).
EDIT2: Tried using the same VPN connection on my laptop (networkmanager), and that did work without problems. Which means something strange is going on with the android phone + VPN. The phone is a One Plus 3 with the latest version of android 8.1.

Last edited by rsolva (2018-06-25 17:53:30)

Board footer