You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-07 17:41:45

drynish

A small networking / bridging issue

Hello everyone,

Here's my setup at my home :

Internet -> (eth0) Computer1 (eth1) -> Linksys (Wireless) ~~ (wlan0) Computer2 (eth0) -> IP Phone

My computer is my HTTP (apache2), DHCP (dnsmasq), Firewall (shorewall), DNS (dnsmasq). Computer 2 is my Freevo Box. I connected the IP Phone on it because it was right in the middle of the apartment and the line was clearer when we were far.

I got many headaches trying to fix this setup. Right now, I must create a new sub network for Computer 2 because wlan0 is in the 192.168.2.x but the dhcp is not working through so the eth0 of Computer2 is 192.168.3.1 and there's another DHCP server and shorewall to share Internet on Computer2.

Is there an easy way I can setup everything to be on the same subnetwork? And that, Comp1 will be accessible by TEL IP.

Thanks and have a nice day smile

#2 2006-08-09 18:57:20

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: A small networking / bridging issue

Currently you have 2 routers in your network :

Computer1 routes between eth0(internet)  and eth1 ( computer2)

Computer2 routes between wlan0 (wireless connection with computer1) and eth0 (ip phone).
* sharing internet is also a router function

Effectively you have 3 different subnets :
internet-computer1
computer1 - computer2
computer2 - ip phone

You will need to put a wlan bridge device with an ethernet switch at the location of computer2.
eth0 from computer2 AND the ip phone are then connected to computer1 on the same subnet.
If the linksys device you have now has switch ports, you can also connect your ip phone there.
The linksys WET54GS5 is an example of a wlan bridge with built-in switch ports.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2006-08-09 19:44:02

drynish

Re: A small networking / bridging issue

Finally I decided to just keep the way it was right now.

Michel

Board footer